Panasonic ag-af100 time code

jrd456

You can't use a sync box on an AF100. 

You can input or output time code on the (yellow) video jack.  It's only active for time code while you're in the menu setting.  You select MASTER (outputting time code), or SLAVE (for jamming the camera -- you press the button marked TCSET to jam and it confirms the jam).

Some of the AF100's I've seen don't do so well at holding timecode especially when changing batteries. It's been a while, but I think I remember switching between camera and playback had the same effect. It's been some time since I've seen one on a job other than as a b camera for interviews where it was on external power, fed with a hard line, jammed and left on for each setup.

Best regards,

Jim

I just ran a test for you for a couple of hours and the results were actually pretty good.  I didn't change between record/playback, etc. but with the camera sitting static, the results I got (I used a Denecke GR-1 Master Clock), interpolate to about 1.2 to 1.25 frames variation over a six hour period, which is about the same as Zaxcom specs, but not as tight as my Denecke gear. 

I did one battery swap test and the time code jumped a good bit, but, in all fairness, I don't trust any camera past a battery change -- Alexa, Red, Sony, etc.

After I jammed the camera, the time code reading coming back was about 2-1/2 frames shifted, but that doesn't really tell you how the files are stamped.  Even if there is some shift (which there might not be) the important thing is how stable the code remains over time.  In that test it looked pretty good.

Sometime (probably not today) I'll do a test with recording, switching between modes, etc.

One thing I failed to mention is that the AF100 uses 29.97 time code, even if recording in 23.976 mode.

I did some quick tests, and yes, the time code jumps frames when switching to playback mode and back to record mode.  However, with just going into and out of record it doesn't seem to shift.  These are quick tests, mind you, but it seems to parallel what Jim said.

A time code slate can be your best friend!

Ironically, these days the prosumer level gear is not really any more convoluted to work with than the top level digital offerings such as Red, Sony, and even Alexa.  While, for several reasons, my favorite high end camera is still the Alexa, even it has its own digital "gotchas." 

We live in a time when, if you don't know the unique particulars of any given camera you could have issues.  The further irony is that, if you do know the camera's idiosyncrasies, you'll probably be better informed than many experienced A.C.s.  I've been in numerous circumstances where the A.C. (or D.P.) came to me to learn about the inner geekness of the camera being used (often even more so with the high end devices).

Remember back when some sages were predicting that when digital took over everything would be standardized and life would be simpler.

May you live in interesting times...

John brings up a good point about the 29.97FPS timecode. This is one of the Panasonic cameras where where 24 FPS operation is mentioned in the manual, it really means 29.97 FPS electronically pulled down to 23.98 and when 30 FPS operation is mentioned it really means 29.97 FPS operation. Regarding timecode stability, I've noticed some variability between units although I'm unsure about the relative age or firmware versions of the units involved. 

Best regards,

Jim

Apologies for the missinformation re the sync box, after using the camera on one project in 2011 the scratch track was invaluable with the sync after using sync n link, since then I have gotten editors to use pluraleyes to sync rushes, I've found this method to work best.

• 2 weeks later...

J.D.,

Was any of this helpful?

Thanks,

Extremely helpful.I just jammed after every batt. change and there was no complaints.I guess they have a half-assed TC system to save on cost of cam.

J.D.