Trip to Big Bend - Equipment

SoundInTexas

Hey all,

I will be taking a 6 day trip to Big Bend in Texas and I plan on recording some ambiences while I'm there. I curious what setup will be better, my 552 or my mix pre d/744t combo. i will have 2 schoeps cmc's on a stereo bar of sorts. I will have access to solar charging but I'm concerned about the power hog 744t. I'm really interested in getting some very hi res recordings (Im thinking digital out of the mix pre d and 192k/24b)

Does anyone have experience with this sorta setup/recording? Tips/Advice?

Recording into either machine will sound the same, its up to you which one has the "better" work flow in your eyes. To me, the defining factor would be sample rate ability. Which machine can record at the highest sample rate? I think that would be your answer.

If I were to go out and make recordings, not mixes, I'd probably bring a recorder, and not a mixer....

You can also ignore users by going to the Manage Ignore Prefs link under your username. Just add 'studiomprd' and you won't see anymore troll comments.

The problem with that is when he sticks to the subject and imparts knowledge he has a heck of a lot to offer. There's a lot of information in that crusty old head of his.

your 744t, hands down: the 744t preamps sound great and if just the 2 ch / stereo set up, leave the mixpre at home so a perfect, lightweight, compact stereo kit w/ only 2 xlr cables to mess with. Add a small manfrotto nano light stand and some good wind protection - ready to record in seconds.