New bag for Sound Devices 633 and Zaxcom MAXX from K-Tek

dfisk

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Got my hands on a Stingray bag. Loving it so far. Some very clever, simple design.

I compared it to the Orca. The Orca was cramped, the openings were badly aligned and the "lift" system was just silly. Three of us were sitting there in the store trying to figure out how to properly secure the 633 with the lifts and the straps and it wasn't immediately obvious. That's a sign of bad design if you ask me. Once you got the straps on there, the plastic clips were in the way of the 633 knobs. Changing batteries or moving cables under pressure looked like a sweaty, stressful job. Stringray was a clear winner here.

More about the Stingray. 
For about a day or two after unboxing, something wasn't right. The divider was bowed strangely and it didn't look pretty. I thought maybe it was a manufacturing error. Turns out that the divider was inserted backwards in factory! I flipped it around and everything lines up nicely now. Something to watch out for.

The only other comments I have are that the top velcro straps are a bit long. With the 633 snugly secured, the excess velcro sticks right up in the way of the main side zippers. I'd rather not be cutting anything. Also, the "crotch" strap underneath is a bit shy of velcro and when you tighten up on the 633 you almost run out, and mostly overlap the elastics.  

But overall this is a very cool bag. Nice work!

cheers

Adam

Got the Stingray for my 633 about 2 weaks ago and damn Dave, you guys did a great job on this bag. Totally loving it, best bag I've had so far :).

Am I correct in understanding that there is a waist belt and a harness coming for it? Are there any rough dates for when that could be?

Glad you like it!

There is a waist belt and harness coming. I'm shooting for the end of the year. I've been hard at work really making sure the designs are right with these things. It's a chance for me to actually help improve health and safety.