NextLAB FotoKem "corrupt" file

RPSharman

I did that, and all is well, but it'd be great to not have one file go to editorial without sound, and not to have a stream of emails associated with a corrupt file.

Dailies are run overnight, so if it can be fixed without too much trouble at night rather than the next day, that'd be best.

Robert

Could well be a media problem, not a file problem per se. I just did a big dailies project where we had that happen with a picture file. Zero problems with sound. 

There are file recovery utilities out there, but the problem with NextLab, Technicolor, Deluxe, Light Iron, etc., is that they just don't have time to drop everything and spend 30 minutes fixing one file when they're buried under hours and hours of material and multiple projects every day. It's easier just to call the DIT or sound mixer and say, "hey, can you send me that file again, please?"

The only time I've ever had issues with sound files has been logistics related, like when scripty logged a scene has having three takes when there were only two, so the post facility didn't realize the material for take 3 was within the file for take 2. That kind of thing.

In the days of 1/4 inch magnetic tape and 35mm Mag transfers, the Picture departments were constantly asking the transfer house (usually the Lab) to do re-transfers of selected takes.

Now that syncing of the picture and sound media has been abandoned by the Editorial department and left to facilities that do that for them, who else are they going to call?

CF cards sometimes give bad reads, files are mistakenly not copied to cards or drives, it's all part of the new normal of production.

No need to get upset over it, or feel picked on. Send them a new copy of the file and enjoy your day.

I wasn't really concerned or bothered.

It was only after a string of emails, that made a mountain out of a molehill, did I wonder if there was an easy way for them to fix it without sending dailies back with sound missing from a take, and the issue being a "corrupt" sound file.

I had a nice chat with Fotokem, and we concluded the word "corrupt" may have been a poor choice, and the rep agrees a less alarming communication would have made everything fine.

Like everyone said, something in the vein of, "One of the sound files was unable to be read by NextLAB. We will deliver dailies with 122G tk1 without sound, and will arrange for a copy of the file to be sent over in the morning."

Robert

Hey Robert,

I always send in 2 CF cards to prevent this email/phone call. One is all tracks which should be used. The second is just a mix track for a back up incase something like this happens. "when there is no sound on dailies the world ends" A bit tongue and cheek but it makes the point with all the emails to get to the bottom of the issue. I instruct transfer and editorial if there is a issue to use the back up to get the dailies out using the mix track. Then I can make another copy of all the tracks for editorial the next day. This work flow seems to keep everyone happy and there have been no real issues since there is a back up plan incase something like this happens. 

This saves a lot of emails and issues and has not had to be used that often and puts everyones concern and sometimes "panic" at ease. It has worked for me and everyone in the workflow seems very cool with it.

Cheers,

Whit

I had a nice chat with Fotokem, and we concluded the word "corrupt" may have been a poor choice, and the rep agrees a less alarming communication would have made everything fine.

Absolutely right. Choice of words can quickly make things spiral out of control. There are post supes who take this stuff in stride and shrug and say, "eh... we'll fix that in a few hours and just get another copy from the sound mixer," while there are other people who fly off the handle and act like it's Defcon 4. 

Hey, at least you have a hard drive with the "real" file on it. As Jeff has reminded me before, camera generally has no backup. And I have worked on projects where the camera files really and truly got corrupted. One bad bit can ruin your whole day.

last feature i did  -- alexa shoot... 

pic edit sends frantic email 'ohh!! the timecode on some files does not match at all!!"

these were takes running slo-mo... obviously the alexa can't jam to ext tc if not running at the same timebase as the picture tc... 

give them a hand, they take an arm... (well, at least most times with exceptions)

" so if it can be fixed without too much trouble at night rather than the next day, "

there are all sorts of dramatic steps you and production could take, but the bottom line is: CRAP happens.

the "corrupt" file may, or may not have worked on another machine, but although the word sounds bad, as far as the reading machine was concerned it was corrupt, and could not be read; that's what all the safeties and backups are for.

I remember getting those calls at night when TC Nagra's were new; it was part of the job...

it is still part of the job.