My Sound Devices 633 Review

ProSound

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are the older NP-L50s.  

There's a wide range that I'm seeing, doing long haul testing for the last two days, the battery I'm currently running has been in record- 6 tracks for nearly 5 hrs and it's at 14.1v.  Also, I should have mentioned that I'm powering a pair of Lectro 401 receivers too.  Testing the whole rig, not just the mixer.  

I'm nearly certain that my batteries are just toast, this one included.  Getting the new ones in will hopefully confirm that.  

I'll probably keep a couple of the not so terrible ones for short SFX recording sessions and around the house testing.  

Thanks for starting this thread. It looks like a solid machine and if I hadn't already purchased and fell in love with my Nomad I might have considered this option. I've always loved SD products as much as I've loved Zaxcom products. Still wished they'd just added 1 more input with a pre-amp but not like it's a deal breaker they way it is. 

I put my 633 to test for the past few days and discovered its an amazing machine.  The faders 4-6 were my biggest concern for the mixer/recorder.  Just as others have mentioned the faders are easy to access and use despite their size.  I own a 788T which i love.  I use the 788T/CL8 with 3 SRB5P in a Deca 601 bag from Petrol on a daily basis, its a tight but nice fit.

Everything on the 633 is straightforward, 3 mic/line inputs, 3 line only inputs, stereo XLR outs, 2 TA3 outs, 1/8 out, 1/8 return bus, and wow....10 tracks of recording with timecode. 

I built the 633 in a 601 bag as well, pretty much a direct swap with the 788T other than some of the interface cables between the SR's and the 633.  Its a very nice fit, but since the bag can fit a 788T which I'm used to, it seems like it has a lot of space.  I would like a small bag that fits just the recorder and 2 SR receivers, maybe even the Quad pack setup from lectrosonics.

The X1, X2 outputs are not capable of mirroring the L/R as they have no matrix capabilities.  You have to individually route each track to the output to get a copy of the L/R mix bus.  I would like to keep a camera snake in line on the XLR outs and a set of stereo hops using the TA3, this a little tricky at the moment.  But being that the 633 is an all digital mixer this could be added with a firmware update.  The X3,X4 output matrix is great and would be an awesome tool if they allowed this on the balanced X1, X2 outputs.  The X3, X4 outputs have great routing options and can have anything bussed to them, it just happens to be on a stereo 1/8 mini which i don't feel comfortable utilizing for hops....IFB/Comteks are fine. 

Other than having Ambient Clock It Network capabilities built in and and a way to control the machine via an IOS device as the CL-WI allows with the 788T, this machine is perfect.  Great for a throwdown bag, documentary travel kit, and a lot of other scenarios where small and powerful fit the bill.  I got 6 hours on 1 NP1, 2 SRB5P receivers, a boom with 48v phantom power the channel, and recording 6 tracks.  Its definitely not a replacement for my 788T/CL8 combo but its a killer machine for everything else that doesn't involve the 788T.

If this is the wrong discussion list for this inquiry I apologize...

My 633 has given me "I/O" errors for my CF card several times now on several gigs.  I am using approved media.  Delkin CF700X.  When it happens, it gives me the error, asks me to select "ok" and then stops recording on the CF card.  Each time this has happened the SD card has continued to record - thankfully!  I have used several CF cards (both approved and unapproved) and it happened to both.  Today I was only recording 5 tracks (poly) and it happened.  The first time this happened, the CF slot unnested and didn't recognize ANY CF card until I hard rebooted the machine.

I contacted Sound Devices but have heard no reply.  It's the weekend.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.  

If this is the wrong discussion list for this inquiry I apologize...

My 633 has given me "I/O" errors for my CF card several times now on several gigs.  I am using approved media.  Delkin CF700X.  When it happens, it gives me the error, asks me to select "ok" and then stops recording on the CF card.  Each time this has happened the SD card has continued to record - thankfully!  I have used several CF cards (both approved and unapproved) and it happened to both.  Today I was only recording 5 tracks (poly) and it happened.  The first time this happened, the CF slot unnested and didn't recognize ANY CF card until I hard rebooted the machine.

I contacted Sound Devices but have heard no reply.  It's the weekend.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.  

Perhaps try the dedicated Sound Devices forum -

http://forums.sounddevices.com/forum/field-mixers/-633-mixer

Scotty,

Definitely worth a call in to Reedsburg first thing on Monday.

The media architecture is pretty much the same as the 664, so its likely you have a hardware problem.

Just a thought, maybe a counterfeit card?  Delkin is one of the more popular brands that counter fitters may have marketed?  Source of the card?  I've been burned in general with some poor Delking products - SanDisk all the way for me now.

A quickdraw handle, good idea, I might use a retired one but this one still looks in good nick?

Yea I bought it new. I thought it would fit well and it really does. When It's on my harness, it flops out of the way and I use it to clip my headphones to the bag in between takes. It's actually a very useful thing to have around.

My 633 has given me "I/O" errors for my CF card several times now on several gigs.  I am using approved media.  Delkin CF700X.  When it happens, it gives me the error, asks me to select "ok" and then stops recording on the CF card.  Each time this has happened the SD card has continued to record - thankfully!  I have used several CF cards (both approved and unapproved) and it happened to both.  Today I was only recording 5 tracks (poly) and it happened.  The first time this happened, the CF slot unnested and didn't recognize ANY CF card until I hard rebooted the machine.

Me too.

I got the 633 on Wednesday.  I have used it on three jobs.  Mostly just 2 tracks.  I got CF I/O errors every day.  I have been  using the approved Delkin media that came with the kit.  I have not had a chance to use other approved media.   The SD card has been fine.  I have been able to copy to non approved media SD to CF with out any issues.  

Brian