My Sound Devices 633 Review

ProSound

I took deliver of my 633 this morning and have spent about 3 hour playing with it and setting it up below are my initial thoughts and observations: 

Bag Choice: I got it to fit into my 302 Petrol bag but it was too small for my needs. If I was doing a simple 2 wire and boom gig straight to camera I may choose this bag but does not offer me enough space for everything I need. I have a large selection of bags and think the Petrol 601 is the best choice. I needed 3 of the bottom pillows in the bag to get it to sit high enough but with a small amount of velcro it is very secure in the bag.  I have 2 SRB comtek IFB and all needed parts on the bag with plenty of space to add a 3rd SRB if needed. 

Menu Layout: For those who have used a 664 this machine is a super easy transition. It feels just like a 664 with same menu structure plus a few new menus like the Power Menu and X3-X-4 Routing Menu everything was very logical and only needed to refer to the manual once during set up. 

Gain and Fader Knobs: I have large fingers was very concerned about control of 4-6 but based upon my initial set up those concerns are gone. I feel confident I could easily mix 6 channels if needed. Everything was easy to access and even with my large fingers was able to mix Channels 1 and 4 at same time. The small and large knobs have the same tactile feeling as well. 

Machine Features: Power Menu is great and the power down feature works as advertised I put the machine into record and killed power and it continued recording right until it powered down 10 seconds later with no file issues. The Limiters sound great as well just like 744T IMHO very impressed. 

How I plan on using machine: I did not purchase this machine to replace my 664 or 788 those machine both fill important needs for the clients I work for. What the 633 does is allow me to be more flexible to clients who don't communicate well ahead of time and also provides me with a easy to travel with back up machine for the 664. This machine for me is for my clients that are usually 2 wires and a boom but may need a 3rd occasionally. Even though I feel I could mix 6 channels on this machine I would prefer my 664 as I feel it is better suited for those jobs but like knowing if needed I can. I also want the safety net of always recording on every job even if client doesn't want it. I'd rather be the hero and sell them the back up files if needed then not have that option. It is all about being prepared for anything that may pop up on a job and the 633 offers me lots of flexibility to do that.  

Overall Observations: I would give the 633 10 out of 10 all features work as advertised and I have not found any bugs it is a solid machine. As usual when calling Sound Devices support with a question I did not wait at all and had my answer in less than 5 minutes. If you need a small machine that can handle simple and complex jobs this machine is for you. 

If anyone has any questions post them below happy to answer what I can 

post-205-0-69577700-1385061009_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super helpful info! It'd be amazing if the 664 and the 633 had the ability to hook up external faders. More so with the 664, but would still be useful with the 633 at larger track capacity. While I don't have large hands, it's just something that would make purchase decisions easier. How cumbersome do you find it is to trim up tracks 4-6?

" how long does it run on only AA-batteries? "

that's difficult to say, as there are numerous variations of AA batteries...

and

" a sliding fader accessory "

" the ability to hook up external faders "

actually they do slide (which you had not mentioned), but they are rotary sliding faders, not linear sliding faders...

...and if that is what you need,  you may well need a different product. 

I have it in a Petrol 601 bag which is a nice fit I will know more after i use it on the job but I should work well 

You can power it via external Sony L-mount batteries, AA Batteries or external source. I am sure it will be very power efficient and easily make it 7 hours with my 2 SRB in the bag via my BDS system 

As I said I could mix 6 channels on the 633 but I prefer the 664 and larger knobs if I need to do that all day it is a personal preference 

" Obviously the idea is to test the run time and then write what settings the 633 was on and what type and brand of battery was used to give an idea what others can expect. "

OK, when I have time...

"if this would be an option on light weight run and gun-gigs. "

of course it would...

If you stopped commenting on every posting you'd have all the time in the world.

Eric

Bag Choice: I got it to fit into my 302 Petrol bag but it was too small for my needs.

Is it the Petrol PS607 bag you're talking about here? I got this bag and wonder if the 633 would fit into this? The 633 is 24 cm (width) according to the specs. I can't see how that will fit in to the PS607 (my 702 fits perfectly with its 21 cm). 

I've found in my testing of my unit that battery life depends very much wether or not you are recording and/or phantom powering microphones.  I've discovered that a few of my old IDX NP-1s that could run my 442 (obviously not recording) for 1/2 day can only run the 663 for 30 min or so recording 6 tracks.  Not using the recorder on the 633, they last nearly as long as on the 442.  

I ordered new batteries, we'll see if it's just my old batts as I suspect.  

I've found in my testing of my unit that battery life depends very much wether or not you are recording and/or phantom powering microphones.  I've discovered that a few of my old IDX NP-1s that could run my 442 (obviously not recording) for 1/2 day can only run the 663 for 30 min or so recording 6 tracks.  Not using the recorder on the 633, they last nearly as long as on the 442.  

I ordered new batteries, we'll see if it's just my old batts as I suspect.  

Most of my batteries are 2-3 years old and I can make it 6-7 hours with my 664 2 SRB recording 6 tracks so I suspect the 633 will do better