Fuze Ti: Fuze Slate

George Tsai

Awesome, a new slate. I would have imagined a new slate would be a more modern design (as in computer control, display face), priced in the laptop-price category that our current offings are (which is just crazy IMO). But hey, one at less than half the price looks pretty groovy too.

My first question is: Does it get the sync error when jammed from a Nomad at what they call 23?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wish enterprising entrepreneurs much success, several danger signs are obvious here.

We start with not prominently using a real name.

What support structure is in place? How do we get support when something goes wonky because an AC has dropped the slate for the fifth time and it dies?

A superficial bio with no specifics. The most extensive experience he alludes to was in middle school. Statements such as "moved into production sound on film sets" leads me to believe he may have worked on one once but somehow avoided contact with a time code slate so ubiquitous on film sets.

He offers, "I have always felt all the timecode devices currently available is unreasonably priced (as I do with many things in the film industry, but we'll get to that when this is out:-P"

Apart from the glaring grammatical error in the preceding statement, the fact that he considers the devices we use "unreasonably priced" screams of a rank beginner who doesn't comprehend our specific needs and the reliability and support so important to working professionals.

Statements such as: "I had a Denecke or Ambient in my hands, maybe their higher end slates are better but I haven't played with those."

I am unaware of either company making any "lower end" slates.

What we appear to have here is a beginner with dreams. While I applaud those dreams, he needs to understand that in the professional world there are professional expectations. For instance, on several occasions I've called a guru at one of the aforementioned established slate manufacturers and received valuable information that the O.P. would be lacking due to his inexperience with time code devices.

I wish good luck to "piman" but he obviously has a lot to learn about what our profession entails.

Name's in the signature of all my post, but just in case you missed it again, it's George Tsai. My website is http://www.gtsai.com And if that's not enough, my linkedin profile is at http://www.linkedin.com/in/piman which is also listed in the FuzeTi website that just went live. I am also willing to make clear I am no master in the film industry, I do have a lot of experience working with audio. A point made in how far back I've been toying and learning everything about sound. 

Knowing how much everything costs to make and how much it costs to run business is why I believe most devices are unreasonably priced. I understand your stance however because it takes a lot of effort to convince many of my friends. Many of them justify the high cost in direct relation with reliability and support, however a small cheese plate that cost $300 only costs $10 even in low quantities to make and 10 minutes to engineer. But like I said something for another time:-)

Lower end slate was wrong choice of words, lower cost models probably would've been better:-P 

Beginner, prosumer, professional, classify it however you like but there is a market for them all. In the end use the tools that suit you best at the price you want. But everyone knows that right?

I apologize for my grammatical error, I blame it on my lack of sleep:-P

Awesome, a new slate. I would have imagined a new slate would be a more modern design (as in computer control, display face), priced in the laptop-price category that our current offings are (which is just crazy IMO). But hey, one at less than half the price looks pretty groovy too.

My first question is: Does it get the sync error when jammed from a Nomad at what they call 23?

I have never used or had the chance to test with a Nomad so honestly I have no idea:-P That said I've had no problems syncing with the Sony F65, All Red Cameras, Alexa, Several Sound Devices recorders, Edirol R-4 Pro, and the Ambient Lock-It Box. It will be tested with many more units in the coming weeks:-)

" danger signs are obvious here. "

well, yes, of course, as there would be with any newcomer entering the market in this manner, even as it was for Zaxcom, once upon a time.

and, BTW, I see some danger in all the last minute redesigning being suggested for a product being developed...

and as always, pioneers are the risk takers.

and perhaps once again we remember <the rule>.

Thanks Senator Mike:-) Your responses are better than what I had in mind hehe. 

On the note of the last minute redesigning concerning the BNC, you are certainly correct there is usually a pretty big risk. The next few days I will be figuring out how I can add BNC IO as simple as possible, and if not much changes are needed it shouldn't be too big of a danger. 

Thanks again for everyone's responses and I am very excited about getting this out:-)

From the web site:

"Supports  23.98,  24,  25,  29.976,  29.976DF,  30, and  30DF  FPS

The FUZE Slate supports all standard SMPTE Timcode framerates."

Three of those are incorrectly stated standard SMPTE time code frame rates.

Batting 50% is not ideal when we're talking about time code.

" What features distinguish your product from Denecke or Ambient? "

business model and marketing strategy

Ah hehe, I've typed up a business plan for myself and realized how horrible I am at putting things down on paper. Hell I'm pretty sure I've made quite a lot of mistakes with my grammar already just in these posts hehe.

That said, it's a pretty simple plan and strategy (and certainly one they say to avoid in business classes). First is to bring a new option in professional tools where there is few to choose from that has just as accurate of a clock. Secondly was to offer it at a much lower price to open up the market to the many people who could not afford a timecode slate before. 

Looks interesting. I would worry about the brightness knob on the side though, maybe having it recessed would be better. Also will the front panel be replaceable once it gets old/dirty/chipped?

I actually was going over that with Dan from ToneMesa and I agree, the knob needs to change:-) I just need to chug some coffee and figure out how:-)

The front panel is replaceable but does involve unscrewing the back enclosure and clapper sticks. There will likely be an option in the future to send it in or have a replacement panel up for purchase. In any case the panel is pretty tough and definitely stronger surface thank Denecke and Ambients. I'll find sometime to do a demonstration video in the coming weeks.

From the web site:

"Supports  23.98,  24,  25,  29.976,  29.976DF,  30, and  30DF  FPS

The FUZE Slate supports all standard SMPTE Timcode framerates."

Three of those are incorrectly stated standard SMPTE time code frame rates.

Batting 50% is not ideal when we're talking about time code.

As far as little mistakes go this is a biggie and quite embarrassing. You are correct, not sure how that slipped past me but it's now fixed:-) Even tho I I listed that wrong, there is no doubt the math in the slate's program is correct:-) Side by side comparison test coming soon.

Any chance of a demo model for the UK, I will help promote it ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not likely at the moment since I have very few prototypes made and they will be making their rounds mostly in SoCal. 

Attached some images from earlier today with Daniel McCoy from ToneMesa, syncs fast with SD633 both directions:-) First time seeing that recorder and I like it:-P The weird LED colors probably has something to do with it being a cellphone picture.

post-7330-0-24824600-1385876581_thumb.jp

post-7330-0-12036400-1385876589_thumb.jp

The weird LED colors probably has something to do with it being a cellphone picture.

Yes taking pics of a TC slate with a cell phone camera can yield unexpected results. post-639-138600366927.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how your slate turn out. I guess true field tests will tell the whole story. Good luck with your venture George.

Sammy Huen

Just wanted to let those that wanted BNC IO. BNC will NOT be implemented in this slate for couple reasons.

While it is possible to add BNC to the slate, The only place to put it would be the bottom of the enclosure so that it would not be sticking out the side like the way the brightness knob was. To add BNC on the bottom would also add a tremendous amount of time in assembly since it can not just be dropped in. Extra time in assembly and cost of the connectors would end up costing more than a simple 1/8" to 2xBNC cable. So if you want BNC it will be an optional accessory in the future and there are already other options on where you can buy them now.

Also the new brightness thumbwheel has arrived and I think I know which one I will be going with. Will try to have a CAD drawing up by next week:-) 

hehe yea been keeping an eye on that thread and looked searched briefly for more info on ZaxNet. Wouldn't surprise me if someone else already have something in the works, hopefully they left it open for anyone can implement (ie no ridiculous licensing etc.). Will definitely be hitting up Glenn once this one gets off the ground:-)

This is a down and dirty test between my upcoming Steel Slate  and a Denecke slate. Timecode from an Ambient Lock-it box and the camera is also thrown into the mix for good measure. This test was shot on the Red Epic and was jam synced from the master clock just before filming.

To sum up the tests...
-Red Epic timecode runs faster than the rest in this test. 
-The Fuze slates is a little slower than the Denecke and Ambient, but the Fuze slates themselves are within one frame. 
-The Ambient is slightly slower than the Denecke. 
-Calibration for the Fuze slates will be further refined for production and should land it right between the Ambien and Denecke.

The Denecke brightness begins to drop before the Steel Slate on 4 AA batteries, however the Steel Slate display drops to unusable levels before the Denecke. I'm not sure but the Denecke slate may be automatically lowering the brightness itself to extend battery life where as the Steel Slate does not do that automatically. Surprisingly, to me anyways, the Lock-it box dies at only 16 hours. 

All AA batteries used are brand new from Costco, Duracell Coppertop. 

Special thanks to ToneMesa (http://tonemesa.com) for the Denecke slate used in this test, as well as Tonaci for the Ambient Lock-It Box (http://tonaci.com/)

https://vimeo.com/81294521

I must be missing something.

I absolutely trust my Denecke products and would never stray from something that works so reliably.

Ambient products are also widely used and respected.

These manufacturers have refined how we use time code on set and have improved their products to keep up with technological changes.

Example, it looks like you have a thumbwheel adjustment for brightness, unfortunately it is exposed where it will be the first bit to hit the concrete.

You know what product I would love to see ?

A zeppelin type shock mount with a variable helium chamber so we could have a buoyant boom mic. That would be cool.

Good luck,

Al

post-72-0-61045100-1386513442_thumb.png

The missing something is that this slate will ve only half the price, if that, of the Ambient/Denecke offerings. If it will be almost as good with maybe a few small caveats, that'd be great

But George wrote "Kickstarter price for one unit will be $550USD." So that typically means buying first generation sight unseen. That could be OK, and if we see positive beta-tester reports from trusted forum colleagues before the kickstarter campaign closes, that could be more than OK.

As interesting as George's slate is, I probably won't be one of the first to buy one (TC slates aren't an every-week item in my little world). And I'd probably be interested in buying through one of our trusted dealers. So I guess we don't yet know how much his slates will cost after the kickstarter campaign closes.

Still following George's progress with interest, though.