Modding a Fat Max?

maxmellman

I know a lot of you guys are using the Fat Max as a follow cart, but have any of you ever modded yours to make it a little sturdier? Worked with a mixer whose handles finally got too bent to extend/close and don't want to go through that myself.

Not sure if this is even possible without totally destroying it or whatever, but figured I'd ask!

I use a smaller follow cart with a tongue extension that the Max rides on.... It takes 80% of the wear and tear off the box... when we settle it comes off and opens up... then it's strapped back on to ride to the next location, or back in the Van... It stays in place and the whole cart with max rolls into the van.. Then the main cart as well...

The Fat Max wants to be a professional work case... but it's cheesy plastic and is not up to the task for serious wear and tear work either on a set or on a construction site. If used as I think it should be, pulling it around and loading and unloading it all the time, it won't last long... You need to help protect it from itself.

I do like it though...  and at @$65, if I need to buy a new one every 6 months or a year... no biggie..

I have a fat max that I modded to be much more sturdy and effective. I essentially stripped off the wheels and handle and then attached it to a hand truck. The hand truck gave a much more sturdy frame and wheel system. It also added to the handle height so I didn't have to slouch over to pull it. I added a shelf up top to throw my bag on for run and gun or interview situations. I put a boom holder on there and can also quickly attach a small antenna mast if needed. When I am on a real cart gig I use this as my follow cart. Since I modded it, I absolutely love it. It has enough room for just about everything I need on small or medium sized bag jobs.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I have a fat max that I modded to be much more sturdy and effective. I essentially stripped off the wheels and handle and then attached it to a hand truck. The hand truck gave a much more sturdy frame and wheel system. It also added to the handle height so I didn't have to slouch over to pull it. I added a shelf up top to throw my bag on for run and gun or interview situations. I put a boom holder on there and can also quickly attach a small antenna mast if needed. When I am on a real cart gig I use this as my follow cart. Since I modded it, I absolutely love it. It has enough room for just about everything I need on small or medium sized bag jobs.

a3yqy6yg.jpgderynyse.jpg

Did you attach the top section of the Fat Max to the dolly?  If so, how smooth is it when you open it?  Also, does the shelf on the dolly become a hindrance when accessing the top section of the Fax Max?

Thanks,

Mirror

The thing that always seems to fail is the aluminum telescoping handle, not the plastic bins. If they can't open, then it's hard to move. If they can't retract, then the top lid doesn't fully open. Mine has lasted 3 years of intermittent use (till jamming up last month), but I have seen people wreck them immediately. I used it on a film where we dragged it through a state park in the woods. I watched a PA help a hair guy move his down steps and bent the aluminum handles on the first day he had it. Awkward. He also didn't have anything close to the weight of metal tools in it.

I'm liking Matt Martin's mod! Well done. I also agree that for ~$75 I feel like mine paid for itself, but the failure point seems like a redesign could save it. Other users must have the same issue. I keep meaning to email Stanley with pictures.

Did you attach the top section of the Fat Max to the dolly? If so, how smooth is it when you open it? Also, does the shelf on the dolly become a hindrance when accessing the top section of the Fax Max?

Thanks,

Mirror

Yes, the top section is attached directly to the hand truck with a couple of screws. I intentionally bought a plastic framed hand truck because it was very easy to drill into but was also rated for something like 300 pounds.

It does open fairly smoothly. Pretty much the same as a standard fat max. And the top lid does get blocked a bit by the added top shelf but it still opens to about a 45 degree angle, so enough to get most things in or out.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

Looks great Matt! Thanks for sharing, gonna try something similar! Just curious - have you had to lug that thing up and down stairs? How tough was that?
Pretty easy to get up and down stairs. It lives in my basement office so it goes up and down at least once for every job it goes on. The hand truck wheels are just large enough to roll up and down stairs. I just tilt it back and pull it up (or let it roll down) one step at a time. Not too bad and I'd say easier than if the Fat Max was left standard.

this is a stronger fatmax that you can buy at rona:

http://www.rona.ca/en/tool-box--p81295036

I would love to see that.  Is that available in the USA? The item says FATMAX on the top section. Is this the new FatMax? I guess I should visit the Stanley website.

Insert montage here...

Just back from the Stanley website...  That item is not there, bummer.  Why would this not be available in the U.S.?  If this is true, how do they keep me from seeing the item on their website?   Do they have a different website for each country?  How do they know I'm from the U.S. when I'm looking at there website?  Is 911 a government conspiracy? Why are there so many questions? ??