Comtek PR-216 Question

Michael Wynne

Hi Guys,

I recently had a Comtek PR-216 casing replaced due to a broken latch and the new casing I received back today was black rather then the original grey color.

I'm assuming there was a design change in color but I also noticed the volume adjustment knob no longer clicks Into place with each incremental adjustment.

Anybody have a newer style black one that can confirm this? I just want to be sure the repair was done correctly, kinda wish I had the old casing. Not so much for the color but I like the old volume knob better. Seems less likely to get accidentally adjusted and a little more sturdy overall.

The only bummer is that they have disposed of all their grey bits. So if you just need a piece of a case, you have to replace the whole thing. They used to send pieces. Now they only sell the whole case. I can't always bill production.

Comtek is pretty awesome in every respect.

My knobs all "click" still.

Update.. I just spoke to Keith in service over Comtek, and he explained to me the lack of the click is not a concern and does not constitute a defective unit or faulty repair.  He says he has seen this happen with some units and as long as the tension on the knob was decent, and there was no audible noise, there was no reason for concern.

What happens is sometimes when units are updated or repaired with the new casing the seating of the top plate could vary according to the amount of tension applied to the top knob.  He advised I not try to adjust and adjusting the tension on the actual knob set screw would have no effect.     The pot tension feels decent, and it sounds and operates at a normal level in comparison to my other units..... 

M

Hopefully the black plastic isn't as prone to cracks. I noticed a few of mine have hairline cracks. One of those "not sure when this happened" situations, and they are still totally functional so I haven't sent them back for repair yet. I think it happened it really cold weather when working outside.