Inline Voltmeter

jason porter

That looks like the little DC voltmeter that Jeff W showed us on his new cart power rig.  Here it is on a new multicam return box I made:

Philip Perkins

I think a lot of the 2-wire DC voltmeters are basically the same --- the big variable is the packaging and the price. I think you could build something like the inline meter with the meter that Philip mentions --- or, the other meter I have used (seen below) would also work.

From Murata - Datel meter

Datel 2-wire meter

- Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815077621_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

The meter you suggested (silver box, from Martel), is the mounting post on the back easily removed??  I would prefer to remove it and just velcro it to my bag. 

-JP

The wires run thru the mounting post, so you'd have to figure out a way to crack the case and reroute the wires so you could saw the post off.  I think a better alternative would be the meter described by the OP or something else not intended for chassis mounting.

Philip Perkins

I use the Datel volt meter in my bag.  I especially liked it because it is very weather proof, durable and very accurate.  I have two datel meters and each are velcroed to my 302 and 442 bag.  FYI.. the Datel volt meter and the externally powered Lectro RX's volt meter always read the same voltage.  It was nice to see that the Lectro meter was so very accurate.  

Andy

Try this little in- line volt and amp meter.

http://www.cinepower.com/website/products/testgear/smartcable.html

Good for bag use.

BVS

Wow...  the so-called Smart Cable was what I was looking for when I discovered the other meters I have suggested. I had an early Smart Cable (from Abel-Cintetech, Aaton distributor in New York) which I adapted and used for display of cart power an current draw. Eventually it stopped working and I replaced it with much less capable (no amperage reading) Datel 2-wire meter. The Smart Cable, either as is or modified and packaged differently for your needs, would be a terrific choice, although I think it is VERY expensive.

-  Jeff Wexler