Sound of Music on NBC

AlanK

Anybody know what wireless & mics were used?  The head mics were VERY well hidden but you could see the cords going down the back of the actors necks.

I believe the sound was a mix of wireless & booms but I'm not sure.  Certainly there was a lot of extraneous noise & some hiss -- I wasn't impressed!

Thanks, Alan

" Ah Vari-Lites and not HMIs. Still... noisy lights. "

and HVAC...

like so many producers, they got a really good deal on a converted (even semi-converted) warehouse/rehearsal hall and kept the production under $10M...

and some folks expect better from CL ??

Edited by studiomprd

They shot at Grumman Studios in Bethpage, Long Island:

http://grummanstudios.com/stages/

Funny how nowhere does it say "quiet" or "sound-proofed."

I was there shooting a fair amount of the behind the scenes documentary - but not for the show.  

The place actually is fairly quite from outside noise. 

But there is no sound treatment on the inside - just a lot of metal for sound to bounce off.

I think the biggest issue is all the crap that they brought in such as: Portable AC units, literally hundred (perhaps thousands) of vari-lights, several smoke machines with fans, 11 cameras moving around, two tecno-cranes, and a huge crew (who I am sure was super quite during the show).

Anyone remember the Disney/ABC made-for-TV version of Annie from 1999? Great cast (including Audra McDonald in one of her first national TV appearances…boy was/is she great), great performance, great production (& good ratings, I think). My kids LOVED it (they were little at the time):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_(1999_film)

ABC followed that up with a couple other TV musicals that were pretty good. Doing the live thing was cool. I didn't watch, but I'll take everyone's word about the audio problems. And I'm told the cameras didn't match at all. 

So maybe next time things will go better. Hope so. Would love to see more good television productions of musicals...

Interview with the director:

Q. What was that persistent white noise or hissing sound?

A. Sometimes it was the fountain. Sometimes it was just because of the nature of the show. Normally you would have boom mikes that would pick up the dialogue and different mikes that would pick up the music. [Last night] everything was wig mikes — basically there were little lavs [lavaliere microphones] that were mounted in people’s wigs. You had to have microphones open for dialogue, that was much softer, and then microphones for the music — there were so many people talking and then singing and then talking and then singing. It could have been that, just having so many microphones open.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/sound-of-music-director-on-what-went-right-and-wrong/?_r=2

Interview with the director:

Q. What was that persistent white noise or hissing sound?

A. Sometimes it was the fountain. Sometimes it was just because of the nature of the show. Normally you would have boom mikes that would pick up the dialogue and different mikes that would pick up the music.

Funny, I heard the hiss and noise from the opening song with Maria all by herself, singing on the "mountain" set. 

I was there shooting a fair amount of the behind the scenes documentary - but not for the show. The place actually is fairly quiet from outside noise.  But there is no sound treatment on the inside - just a lot of metal for sound to bounce off. I think the biggest issue is all the crap that they brought in such as: Portable AC units, literally hundred (perhaps thousands) of vari-lights, several smoke machines with fans, 11 cameras moving around, two tecno-cranes, and a huge crew (who I am sure was super quiet during the show).

I hope they had a SUPER Technocrane!

I'm still trying to fiigure out why we needed a second thread about exactly the same thing..?

Redundancy. What if the first thread stops working while we're reading it? Just don't mix them both at once; you'll get phasing.

(Or, in the minds of some newbies: You flip the polarity of one thread, and you can null out all the noise.)

I was there shooting on the behind the scenes show, and when the fountain was running, it sounded like a fountain- not hissing or white noise. More like a big urinal. They talked about that being an issue.

The biggest part of the HAVC was located directly over the mountain set, which is why Mark heard it so clearly right from the opening scene. The ground shook when it kicked on. Maybe they figured it was best to leave it on once it was established at the start !

I think the abundance of VariLites was the culprit ( and also made use of a boom impossible ). Sounds like the playback level of the music might have been incorrect too.

The team who were micing everyone looked like pros, so unless a wig moved out of position, I doubt a mic was not were it was supposed to be.

I guess sound proofing wasn't an issue when they were building F-14's there.