Reliable wireless video

JDirckze

Hey all,

The show I'm on at the moment are looking for a solution for enabling the field producers to have wireless LCD monitors. I brought my own little wireless monitor setup, which was a very small transmitter and combo receiver/TV (think little hand held baby monitor) but at the moment it is pending repairs, and the producers have complained that the monitor was too small, and not 16:9

Production have sourced some cheapo LCD monitors, and at the same time bought some cheapo video Tx/Rx, but they were very unreliable, and relied on a stupid amount of batteries to power the monitors and Rx. The same with the Tx, where 8 x AA were needed to be strapped to the camera, versus my solution which was powered from the camera itself. In the end, the setup that production bought was totally unusable.

Anyway, I know this is not the usual type of thing sound guys deal with, but I was wandering if any of you out there have been through this and could point me in the direction of decent solution.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have used these recently-

http://rf-links.com/video_senders.htm

They are a little dirty, so if you use an RF hop to camera, make sure the receivers are high quality.

Along with a Delvcam LCD monitor/Tuner unit, it is a cheap solution.

I have also heard good things about these guys-  http://www.blackboxvideo.com/video_sender.htm

I also have one more option, but I can't find the website, I'll update you later.

On my current production, we are using 2 Modulus senders...surprisingly, they work well and have not interfered with my RF equipment!! (knocking-wood)

-Jason

read this

Transmitter Rental Rates + Faq

All transmitters can be powered by video cameras or film cameras 12-30 Volts. For consumer type cams we provide cigarette pack sized accessory batteries. Quoted are daily rental rates. Things change often. Always call for special quotes!

DigiTrans:

Digital transmission means perfect picture always. 8 frame delay.  No brain setup. License free!                              $ 250.00/day

IDX new in July 2008, liscence free 50 yard range, no delay no compression HD-SDI in/out only  with mounts to go between camera and battery                                                                            US $ 6000.00

Microwave:

900 Mhz Coherent, Long range outside use, no delay. Minor setup. FCC Part 15, License free                                                  $ 350.00/day

Handheld 7” LCD receiver TV

With batteries for all transmitters (except Digitrans). Each battery lasts 6 hours, 2 provided.        $  95.00/day

For fun and experimentation FCC Part 97 License required:

FM WSV    only  $ 350.00 /day  2 mile range

MINI SPY VIDEO TRANSMITTER

Transmits video (and audio on special order) from your camera to any TV set and many handheld monitors. This is a small and convenient package that has twice the range of expensive Modulators.

Range:  100+ yards with small whip on receiving Watchman.  With flat panel gain Receive Antenna: 350 yards.  Size: 3” x 2” x 7/8” 

US CATV Channel 59, Freq. = 434 MHz (any modern cable-ready TV or tuner will receive this). We have a mini battery package that’s good for 11 hours. (No power cable provided)

For Sale    9-36V, Video only $ 750.00

Audio & Video (no power cable provided) 9-36V    $ 850.00

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations state that an Amateur Radio License is required to operate this unit within the United States.  This transmitter can be operated in the USA by a technician class licensed radio amateur, 47 CFR part 97 of the FCC Rules.  97.113 of the FCC Rules prohibit the use of Amateur Radio Frequencies to further any business purpose. Any transmission must be directed to at least one other licensed Radio.

For use outside the USA: …………………………………………………………….

This device has not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased until the approval of the FCC has been obtained.  This manual is for export use only.

CanaTrans has audio, better range and picture than Modulus CH 20-50 go buy it in Canada

NTSC or PAL version, always with audio      US $ 4000.00

Modulus 3ooo no audio  Ch 14-69 NTSC only

Available again as of May 2008              US $ 2200.00 

Modulus 4ooo promised and withdrawn 

Applications:

Digital Transmitters have a perfect picture always, with audio, the fastest to set up, good indoors, Indoor range 135 feet, 75 feet outside. Needs special receiver (supplied).

Microwave for outside use delivering long range: 2 miles on a golf course, 5 miles on aircraft. With audio. Diversity receivers, which require three antennae, 10 minute setup time.  Not good indoors but OK in warehouses. It is good outside for long range in follow cars, aircraft, boats. Needs special receivers (supplied).

Modulus/CanaTrans range: 90 yards (one football field) in the desert, 90 feet in town with digital UHF TV in the air now.

Good for generic receivers: any TV will do, small 2-7” handheld LCD receivers available, minimal antennae setup, you can buy your own handheld mini receivers or large LCD TVs.  Non USA use only.

MiniSpy  most economical, range 100+ yards, great performance. Handhelds need to receive CATV 59. Any TV receives it. Only one possible in one area.

Also for a longer read: http://www.wolfvid.com/datasheets/FAQ_on_Video_Transmission.pdf

Wolf Seeberg  Tel:  (310) 822-4973     

www.wolfvid.com

02/30/08

" 97.113 of the FCC Rules prohibit the use of Amateur Radio Frequencies to further any business purpose.  "

the FCC and radio amateurs are pretty agressive at going after intruders in Ham radio spectrum...

pretty much makes using it on production both illegal,  and risky!

WA8ARZ

mike michaels is totally correct of course.

and amateur radio is a great hobby, just think you can reflect radio signals of the moon and receive it on the other side of the earth.

here some guidance:

LICENSES

The Microwave frequencies between 1240 to 1300 and 902 to 928 Mhz have been allocated in the USA by the FCC to Amateur Radio Communications under Part 97 available on the net at: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

You can own, sell, rent and receive on any equipment without a license.  Only for transmission does the operator have to hold the easy-to-get “No-Code Technician License”.  You can take a 2 day course at the end of which you’ll easily pass a multiple choice test (>10$ fee) to get your license.  No Morse code to learn.  Alternatively, read one of the little paperback manuals listed below and get tested anywhere as described in these booklets:

Gordon West’s  Amateur Radio No-Code Plus Novice and Technician Class Theory Cost:  $9.95   

Master Publishing, Inc.,  14 Canyon Creek Village MS 31 Richardson, TX  75080  (214) 907-8938

Radio Shack has a book with the license application included: Radio Shack:  No Code Plus  Index No. 622417

Courses are offered free by many Red Cross stations or for a minimal fee by Amateur Radio clubs or stores.  Look in the Yellow Pages.  A good commercial school in the LA area is:  Gordon West Radio School, Inc., 2414 College Drive, Costa Mesa, CA  92626, (714) 549-5000. And on the WEB: http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com  this is a good place to start informing yourself.      Also:  The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) distributes a no-cost package on amateur radio with all the information you need to get going towards a license. You will learn a lot in the process and have the chance to meet many new friends. You may contact the ARRL as follows:

Telephone Toll Free 1-800-326-3942    Mail: ARRL EAD 225 Main St, Newington CT 06111-1494

Telephone (860) 594-0301 FAX: (860) 594-0259  E-mail newham@arrl.org    Compuserve: 70077,3373  America Online: HQARRL1    http://www.arrl.org/        They also publish a useful book:

Technician Class License Manual for Novice Class Licensees

ARRL Bookshelf  #4181, $6  for orders:  (203) 666-1541,  Of course you can not use these frequencies for any commercial endeavor. These are amateur radio frequencies and you must obey the laws and conventions established on these bands.  The operator of the equipment is the responsible party to follow the law. Also interesting read: http://www.hello-radio.org/becomeaham.html

there are a lot of old time soundmixers who came out of the military and Ham radio and have a lot to offer, just ask MM any questions he will be happy to talk about propagation which is something reality folks have not even heard of mostly.

w.