boom mic with wide pattern: mk4, 416,

Tom Morrow

Glen, thanks for sharing your real world experience.  That corresponds to my understanding from both experience and theory that the less directional a mic is, the less off axis weirdness of all kinds you get.

>Rent an mk4 and experience yourself. You will find Out that your expectations on one mic are too high.

I think I may not have been clear... the reason I listed all those different tasks was because I wanted to show that there are some valid reasons for going wider than an mk41 or 416.  As Glen later agreed.  I was reacting to the people who seemed to be saying "just stick with the same directional mic and get better technique" instead of choosing wider mics for wider soundfields.   My point was that different mics have different uses, but it got interpreted as "I'm looking for one mic to solve all my problems" which is the opposite of what I was saying.

I'm off to do some recording...

Yes, John B... I meant the Schoeps 641. Thanks. Correction  made.

Tom, and all, Just to be clear, the main point I have been trying to make is that the MKH40 and MKH8040 is not enough wider than the Schoeps MK41 (641) to be thought of as being wider. In my opinion, based on 100+ days of use in the field during the last four years, from when the 8040 was introduced in the US, right up until two days ago, for all practical purposes when used overhead on a boom pole for recording dialog, the pattern of the MKH8040/MKH40 and the Schoeps MK41/641 are the same. Conversely, there is an easily identifiable difference between the patterns of the MKH50/8050 and the Schoeps MK41/641, though both are categorized as being "supercardioid" and have the same pattern symbol.

Glen Trew