Nagra IV-S question (time code)

rstl99

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I've been wondering why you don't just remove the jumper plug from the external pilot tuchel connector. Actually, looking at the photo supplied, the pilot jumper doesn't appear to be present anyway.

The pilot and/or TC signal passed through that 4-pin connector. Unless the signal were jumped from (if memory serves) the Xtal pin to the Grnd, the signal would not carry through to the sync head. Removing it would take the sync circuit out of the path completely.

Alternatively, if one doesn't have the screw-on jumper plug and wanted to use sync recording. one could just bend and cut a paper clip to a U-shape and use it with a piece of tape to hold it in place.

David

Thanks David, no if anyone is missing something here it's me! ::) Indeed, that jumper is not there so sounds like I don't need to do anything else, and there is no pilot or TC signal going on the tape as it stands.

That paper clip tip is neat: using good old know-how and ingenuity to fool this intricately designed Swiss machine ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New to jwsound. I have a replacement 60hz speed strobe to swap with the installed 50hz one.

Will be looking for a new modulometer as mine is a little mashed up with cracked glass but works.

Chris

Dear Chris,

I have just purchased a Nagra IV-STC from Canads can you believe, so I will gladly exchange my 60Hz strobe for your

50Hz version, as I'm in France.

I may have the Service manual if you require how to set-up the BIAS.

Regarding your meter my IV-SJ has a broken glass so I ordered a glass from this guy

Link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171082028434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cost is $24.50 USD

Kind Regards

Tony

anthony@ampex-uk.com

www.ampex-uk.com

If you want a IV-sTC manual you can have it for postage, but I warn you it is as big as telephone book.

philp

u

Dear Philip,

That's realy kind of you, assuming its a Service Manual as I have the normal handbook, and yes I will gladly pay the postage, could I pay you via "Friends & Family", through PayPal, this will

not cost you anything, I will also add a further amount for your favourite charity, just let me know how much.

Happy New Year

&

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

I have a replacement 60hz speed strobe to swap with the installed 50hz one. .

Will be looking for a new modulometer as mine is a little mashed up with cracked glass but works. Also will be lurking for any reasonably priced QGB with hubs to expand the tape and playback options.

Good to have landed here. Seems a place i will learn from and hopefully can contribute as i can.

Chris

Dear Chris,

Further news to add to my last post, I'm very interested in exchanging our strobes, but I have been looking for a QGB for you as I am informed there were more sold in Europe than USA/ Canada.

You will have to hurry on this one, which I feel is expensive

LINK

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NAGRA-QGB-10-1-2-ADAPTER-IV-S-IVS-IV-STC-TC-4-TIME-CODE-GUTER-ZUSTAND-/251410210717?pt=Bandmaschinen&hash=item3a89375f9d

Kind Regards

Tony,

www.ampex-uk.com

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Nagra IV-S from Pro-Sound, which possibly belonged to someone frequenting this forum (I was told it came from a sound mixer working in Hollywood). 

Anyway, my interest is in stereo music recording, so I'm thrilled to have this IV-S to play with.  This IV-S a time-code version, which I'm not familiar with.  Since I don't need to sync with anything the timecode circuitry if of no use to me.  However, I note a small toggle-switch just behind the speaker, inside, and wonder if someone could tell me if the position of that switch impacts in any way stereo audio recordings that I want to make with the IV-S.

I attach a picture in case this triggers your memory of the function of that switch.

Thanks for your help.

--Robert

attachicon.gifnagivstc.jpg

Hey Robert I just bought a 4.2 (for oldtime/display-at home-sake) and received it this morning in very good health!Looks like new after a good cleaning!Just two parts I need to get : the screw on the right that holds the strap (Nagrit in Italy sells them:so I can order that there) and the lidholder (on the machine) is not there:I can close the lid when the machine is on it's back,but upright the lid falls open.Maybe you have a clue where to get that?Thanks!David Carmiggelt

and the lidholder (on the machine) is not there:I can close the lid when the machine is on it's back,but upright the lid falls open.Maybe you have a clue where to get that?Thanks!David Carmiggelt

Dear David,

Is your lid the normal for 5" reels or is it the 7" lid, what ever, I have several spare IV or 4.2 Lids, with catches, but there

were two different types, please send a picture of your receiver catch so I can maybe help.

Kind Regards

Tony

Tony Arnold (Director)

anthony@ampex-uk.com

Looks like "Chris" who was asking about setting up the CCIR machine is long gone...

Tony, welcome to the discussion and good to know another analog Nagra aficionado!  Good thing that Philip set you up with the IV-S(J) Service Manual, it has a wealth of information.  I got a used and well-earmarked one from Pro-Sound NYC last year and it's been very helpful.

Good that you can help Carmiggelt with the lid catch on his 4.2.  I myself have a broken press-type catch (lid part) on my IV-S, so will try to do a fix on the broken pin, or else look for one somewhere.

Yeah those end screws for the handle and belt are not easy to find, one of those Nagra-only parts that they put on their machines...

Tony: which recorder is on your avatar?  I own an Ampex 440 stereo for very occasional use and retro eye-candy in my music room.  Industrial-grade machine without a doubt, mine came from the CBC who surplus'd them years ago when they went to digital.  I get a kick occasionally using a recorder like the one that Glenn Gould fooled around with in his radio days at the CBC.

A happy and prosperous New Year to all of you here.  Thanks for your help on many issues last year!

--Robert

Yeah those end screws for the handle and belt are not easy to find, one of those Nagra-only parts that they put on their machines...

Robert (& others)

As you work on restoring your older Nagras, please be aware that Nagra made their own screws. These were frequently cut to a different pitch than either SAE or Metric standards. You want to be cautious about using any screws from another source, particularly if they almost or "sort-of" fit.

If I needed any parts for a Nagra, I would contact Audio Technology Switzerland (the parent company spun off from Kudelski SA) and ask if they could supply them. No promises but Nagra has a long history of maintaining a parts inventory and supporting older gear.

David

Other sources would include Nagra dealers like Location Sound (ask for David Pebworth) and Trew Audio. Also, don't forget specialty shops like Dan Dugan.

As you work on restoring your older Nagras, please be aware that Nagra made their own screws. These were frequently cut to a different pitch than either SAE or Metric standards. You want to be cautious about using any screws from another source, particularly if they almost or "sort-of" fit.

If I needed any parts for a Nagra, I would contact Audio Technology Switzerland (the parent company spun off from Kudelski SA) and ask if they could supply them. No promises but Nagra has a long history of maintaining a parts inventory and supporting older gear.

Other sources would include Nagra dealers like Location Sound (ask for David Pebworth) and Trew Audio. Also, don't forget specialty shops like Dan Dugan.

Thanks Dave, good points.  I suppose there may have been self-serving reasons for Nagra manufacturing their own screws and such (although there are a fair number of metric screws in there from what I found), making themselves the sole supplier of such parts.  That and I suppose, ensuring that everything that went into a Nagra (down to the screws) were to the same level of high standards.

Another source for the odd part is Pro-Sound in NYC, who have a service shop and can still work on the analog Nagras.  They've helped me out in the past, along with the other companies you indicated.  I've never dealt with Audio Tech Switzerland.  I used to occasionally correspond with Mr. Bartels at Nagra HQ Switzerland, who was very knowledgeable about the old Nagras and helpful with information, advice, and the odd pdf copy of a manual or schematic.  He retired last year and I was told that with him went much of the collective knowledge and memory of analog Nagras, sadly.

David Thanks!Contacted Audio Technology in Switzerland ( still amazing that a small village as Cheseaux is home to Nagra and Sonosax...!was there 3 years ago for service on my SX-ST 8)They are closed for the holidays,but I'm in no hurry at all ;-)

Must say that upon receiving my 4.2 last monday it is still stunning how well nagra build these machines.OK ok it now sits on display with my Sonosax Stelladat 2,but how nice these Swiss collegues look next to eachother!David C.

David Thanks!Contacted Audio Technology in Switzerland ( still amazing that a small village as Cheseaux is home to Nagra and Sonosax...!was there 3 years ago for service on my SX-ST 8)They are closed for the holidays,but I'm in no hurry at all ;-)

Must say that upon receiving my 4.2 last monday it is still stunning how well nagra build these machines.OK ok it now sits on display with my Sonosax Stelladat 2,but how nice these Swiss collegues look next to eachother!David C.

I haven't (yet anyway) got the bug for the Stellavox equipment, but indeed the swiss made some very fine recording devices.  Someone I know in Holland has a friend who still uses the Stellavox to record bird songs at 15 ips (on 5" reels, you can imagine he goes through a fair bit of tape, but apparently the results are out of this world).  The 4.2 is such a rugged and functional device, no wonder it (along with the predecessor III and stereo IV-S) was used for so long in the film industry.  I don't fool around enough with my mono Nagras, but greatly enjoy it when I do (III, 4.2, IS, and the diminutive SNn).  Enjoy your 4.2!

Looks like "Chris" who was asking about setting up the CCIR machine is long gone...

Tony, welcome to the discussion and good to know another analog Nagra aficionado!  Good thing that Philip set you up with the IV-S(J) Service Manual, it has a wealth of information.  I got a used and well-earmarked one from Pro-Sound NYC last year and it's been very helpful.

Good that you can help Carmiggelt with the lid catch on his 4.2.  I myself have a broken press-type catch (lid part) on my IV-S, so will try to do a fix on the broken pin, or else look for one somewhere.

Tony: which recorder is on your avatar?  I own an Ampex 440 stereo for very occasional use and retro eye-candy in my music room.  

A happy and prosperous New Year to all of you here.  Thanks for your help on many issues last year!

--Robert

Dear Robert,

Many thanks for the welcome, its great to be here, I don't get a lot of time but will be looking around the Forum more

now Chrismas is over.

Yes I found it strange that we never heard from Chris as I do require a 50Hz Strobe.

Not heard back from Philip yet, I do hope he can help me out with a STC Service Manual, Should anyone require either Nagra or Ampex

service information please let me know as I do have quite a lot., that goes for other manuals as well,at 78 years I have collected many.

The part for David's lid was a part that's on the 4.2 itself, rather than the part I was offering which is for the lid.

Let me have a picture of your missing or broken lid part and lets see if I can help-out.

The machine I'm using for my Avatar is known as an Ampex ATR-124, these are very rare as only 50 macines were made, I still have

my two which I used in my Studio for many years, they are known as about the finest analogue machine multitrack recorder that's ever been available.

They are based on the Classic Ampex - ATR-102/104 which has become the most sought after mastering machine in the Studio Industry.

when modified to stereo on 1/2" Tape, the Quality is outstanding.

Happy New Year to all and many happy years thereafter.

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

Tony

Is that picture of an Ampex ATR 124?

What a machine

Absolutely the best sounding multitrack I ever worked with.

Everything you recorded on it sounded better on playback, made a Studer A800 sound mushy.

Incredibly well built, always suspected there was a military version.

It even had an "OFF" light to let you know it had power.

Thanks for bringing all those memories back

Al

post-72-0-21791000-1388711647_thumb.png

post-72-0-13843500-1388711684_thumb.png

post-72-0-43299800-1388711717_thumb.png

Yes, the usual late Ampex issue.  Brilliant electronics with somewhat slapdash or underengineered mechanics.  Witness the VPR series 1" type C video decks, the bane of the maintenance engineers at the company I worked for in the early '80s.  They could even record video in reverse....when they worked...

philp

quote name="rstl99" post="237499" timestamp="1388696965"], and the diminutive SNn). Enjoy your 4.2!

Dear Robert,

I have been making 1/4" & 1/2" test tapes for many years now, but having invested in all three models of the Nagra SN Series

I'm now considering manufacturing test tapes for these great machines.

I already supply leader tape, which helps prevent the damage that can be caused due to the handling when being loaded so many times.

Due to the heavy costs of SN reels, I supply the leader in a cassette shell, I'm thinking of giving a choice whether to send the SN Test Tapes on a SN Reel with a leader separating the Test Tones from the rest of blank tape or, by sending the test tape in a Cassette Shell

with the Oxide side of the tape facing inwards this way I will edit a long leader either end for the user to transfer it to a SN reel that's

either empty or has tape on it.

I'm also half way through converting a Nagra SNST to a Nagra SNST-S, by changing the speed and the BIAS and Record & Play

Pre-Emphasis.

What are your thoughts on the two above ideas

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

Watch out for splices on those ATR's. The capstan-less transport did not like splices, since the whole thing worked on servo-controlled tension. Sophisticated, but a little fragile.

Dear Marc,

Here is one of mine that's in my workshop for servicing, I should say I do a lot of 2" editing on my 124's to get one good take out of several other takes,and never had a problem yet.

The only problem with an Ampex ATR-124 is, if its been in the wrong hands regarding servicing it will be a bitch to get right, I took all the Ampex 124 Courses before purchasing the two I use now.

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

post-9812-0-47137500-1388740537_thumb.jp

quote name="rstl99" post="237499" timestamp="1388696965"], and the diminutive SNn). Enjoy your 4.2!

Dear Robert,

I have been making 1/4" & 1/2" test tapes for many years now, but having invested in all three models of the Nagra SN Series

I'm now considering manufacturing test tapes for these great machines.

I already supply leader tape, which helps prevent the damage that can be caused due to the handling when being loaded so many times.

Due to the heavy costs of SN reels, I supply the leader in a cassette shell, I'm thinking of giving a choice whether to send the SN Test Tapes on a SN Reel with a leader separating the Test Tones from the rest of blank tape or, by sending the test tape in a Cassette Shell

with the Oxide side of the tape facing inwards this way I will edit a long leader either end for the user to transfer it to a SN reel that's

either empty or has tape on it.

I'm also half way through converting a Nagra SNST to a Nagra SNST-S, by changing the speed and the BIAS and Record & Play

Pre-Emphasis.

What are your thoughts on the two above ideas

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

Hi Tony,

I've sent you a PM so we could maybe carry on the conversation about the SN offline.  I'd be interested to respond to you on that.  Your conversion to SNST-S is interesting, I saw a german enthusiast site that outlined a similar conversion, perhaps you are already aware of it.  

Best regards,

--Robert

Dear Chris,

I have just purchased a Nagra IV-STC from Canads can you believe, so I will gladly exchange my 60Hz strobe for your

50Hz version, as I'm in France.

I may have the Service manual if you require how to set-up the BIAS.

Regarding your meter my IV-SJ has a broken glass so I ordered a glass from this guy

Link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171082028434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cost is $24.50 USD

Kind Regards

Tony

anthony@ampex-uk.com

www.ampex-uk.com

Tony,

Thanks for the links. I've been on holiday and off-forum :))))

Happy to swap strobes with you if you're still interested. Let me know.

I have a question re cleaning lubricating the volume pot knobs. I would like to remove tge knobs and clean out gunk behind/underneath and relube. Note there is a hole on side of each knob which i am assuming houses some kind of set screw. Question is, if i remove the knobs, is there anything i need to worry about when i put it back together :)

For example, do the knob clutch that gangs them together need to be activated/unactivated, etc? Any spring clips ti worry about?

Thanks!

Chris

Tony,

Happy to swap strobes with you if you're still interested. Let me know.

I have a question re cleaning lubricating the volume pot knobs. I would like to remove tge knobs and clean out gunk behind/underneath and relube. Note there is a hole on side of each knob which i am assuming houses some kind of set screw. Question is, if i remove the knobs, is there anything i need to worry about when i put it back together :)

For example, do the knob clutch that gangs them together need to be activated/unactivated, etc? Any spring clips ti worry about?

Thanks!

Chris

Dear Chris,

There is a saying and that is

"if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it"

But then on the other hand if they are noisy or intermittent, then I would use WD-40, but try to find a can that's near its ending, as these are easier to control the out-flow, I alway keep my nearly used cans for such occasions.

Or #-1

If your can wants to blast everything in sight then pray it into something where you are able to feed a small amount into the hole.

or #-2

Hold your finger on the end of the red tube and then press, then slowly remove the tube from the can, and use the tubes contents to feed the hole.

or # -3

Even though its painstakingly slow I spray some onto the tip of a small screwdriver and then feed the hole.

Should you want to remove the Potentiometers for cleaning then set both knobs to be ganged, turn them to zero, then undo the ganging so they are independent to each other, and make sure both are set to Zero again, now you can remove the knobs safely but be careful as the ganging cogs can crack due to age.

Please send the 50Hz to my home address in France

Mr Tony Arnold,

Les Tenons,

La Chapelle Sur Aveyron,

Loiret,

France

You can E-mail your address to:

anthony@ampex-uk.com

I will send you the 60Hz using normal post

Again the saying is

If it ain't broke don't fix it, BUT the reason it ain't broke yet, is because it don't have enough features

Kind Regards

Tony

www.ampex-uk.com

&

www.helios-electronics.com

www.arnys-shack.com