stand alone recorders vs. the computers (just a starter --- new topics welcome)

I can't say that I really understand what is meant by this.

When it's time to pull the metacorder/traveler combo from the cart, I have to disconnect 2 optical cables, 1 f/w cable, and 2 timecode TRS cables.  When I get to the insert car, I have to connect it to 2 XLR cables, 1 f/w cable, and one timecode cable.

I'm not certain what is "messy" about this, or how having to disconnect and re-connect 4 or 5 cables is much different or more or less time consuming than what is needed for many other multi track recorders.  I would say that this rig has a slightly larger "footprint" than other recorders, but I have not found that to be a problem in any of the insert cars that I have been in so far.

Best,

Darren

What's messy is that you still have a seperate computer, FW interface and drive and the attendant cablage, compared to a bag rig that can be kept ready to go.  If you have your rig together enough to make that sort of changeover and change back to normal recording as fast as it takes the camera dept to pull the camera off the rig and put it back on the dolly then my hat's off to you.  My stuff isn't that together I guess, so I like having a separate portable rig for car and run around work.

Philip Perkins

well for what I'm used to is pulling the 106 off the cart and a pd-2/4, monitor, power station, comteks, ect..

Just gotta be in a hurry.

I hope to get this into a seperate system in the future like with a Deva 4/5 and a flash recorder that I can just transfer with.

Then there's the other side.

There is nothing like climbing into a trunk of an actor driven car with all the crap on your chest , thinkin' about going home.

Larry

What's messy is that you still have a seperate computer, FW interface and drive and the attendant cablage, compared to a bag rig that can be kept ready to go.  If you have your rig together enough to make that sort of changeover and change back to normal recording as fast as it takes the camera dept to pull the camera off the rig and put it back on the dolly then my hat's off to you.  My stuff isn't that together I guess, so I like having a separate portable rig for car and run around work.

Philip Perkins

Hi Philip,

I think that I might have mentioned this before in one post or another so please forgive me if I am being repetitive.

I have found that with the use of velcro it is really quite easy to keep the whole thing rather "tidy" and manageable.  My Traveler and my laptop are always left velcroed together and are virtually one unit (they are pretty much the same dimensions so this works rather well).  My Lacie mobile f/w drive is velcroed onto the lid of the computer near the hinge.  Everything remains cabled together.  When moving, I just have to remove the power cables and the i/o cables much like a regular recorder.  It all seems to work quite well.

Of course no matter what you are using in the cart, it will always be faster to move if you have a second system so there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach.  However, for the type of shows that I do, there doesn't seem to be a need to be able to move into the insert car any quicker than we currently move now.  In fact, more often than not, I find myself sitting there for at least 1/2 an hour or more waiting for them to finish tweaking the lighting, etc.

Best,

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

One last thing - there have been posts about how much more is expected of the location mixer these days. This may be a slippery slope, be careful or soon you will be asked to lay out your ISOs in edit rough cuts, perhaps with titles & effects...

Hush, Nostradamus.

• 2 months later...

I can't sling my laptop in a portabrace and multitask on British low-budget shorts. Not a problem with the FR2 and a decent homemade batterypack.

If I ever find myself in the video village with my cart and a couple of sound friends, I'm sure my Mac and a few FireWire breakout boxes will be with me. Frankly, big budget shoots don't turn me on (but the money might be useful).

IMO an ultraportable field recorder cannot be a workstation (I see a cart I still see a workstation).