Y cable for mic to record 2 channels

asterix2k10

If you're using high quality transformer-input devices, a Y-cable of one mic to two inputs can show loading problems. Each transformer acts as a parallel load on the other.

But modern op-amp input devices -- including all cameras, and most mixers -- are much higher impedance so there shouldn't be a problem.

If you are using a straight Y cord you need to have the phantom power on in both channels. I think the unpowered channel is loading down the phantom power so not enough voltage us getting to the mic. This has always worked for me.

The alternative is to use a transformer splitter.

How about plugging the mic into one channel, and slightly pan it to one side, so in the L-R mix one side will be softer.

Recorders nowadays, could route an input to two separate channels. Why taking a risk on a Y cable?

Hiro

You can still overlaod that one mic input stage, and that's precisely what we want to avoid.

The fidelity you loose by reducing the source impedance is probably a wash for just turning the preamp's gain down.  The proper way to do it is to use a mic splitting transformer, which also isolates the phantom power.

Look at page 3 of this PDF for an application diagram.  Cinemag is the best in the biz and make excellent transformers.  I have purchased small orders from David Geren in the past.  cinemag@att.net

http://cinemag.biz/splitter-xfmr/PDF/CMMS-2.pdf

Jensen also makes good transformers and you can find off the shelf splitters from the likes of Whirlwind or ProCo.