Zaxcom not powering with BDS - very strange thing going on

Izen Ears

Really really weird: I got 4 BDS cables for the Zax stereo 900 Rxs from Remote Audio, and I made one myself out of the connector they include.  (Took apart an existing Lectro BDS cable.)

The Remote Audio cables only work on one outlet on one of my BDS v.2 boxes!  Only one out of all 12, and this with testing all 4 Remote Audio cables with all 3 Zax Rxs!  (On one BDS box, one outlet works, on the other none!)  The Zax Rxs don't power up unless it's connected to that one outlet.

Why on Earth would only one outlet work, as far as I knew they were all wired identical?

Every other outlet works with Lectro Rxs, so I don't think it's the BDS boxes.

Funny thing is the cable I made works, on all the BDS outlets. 

I have other 4-pin cables Remote Audio made and they all work, it's just the BDS cables.  Any ideas?  I just cannot account for this zany thing.

Dan Izen

Sounds like you could have the connectors reversed (at least this might explain some of the symptoms). The plugs that go into the BDS should be just a little longer than the current connectors used for the Zaxcom. This is because the BDS outlets are inactive until the proper connector is inserted. It is impossible for Lectro power cables to be reversed with the BDS because the smaller pin size of the Lectros will not allow the plug to go into the 2.5mm BDS outlets. Anyway, turn the cables around to see if it makes a difference. The real mystery to me is why one of the BDS outlets does work, which, oddly enough, might be the only real fault.

Please let us know what you find out (or not).

Glen Trew

Ha ha yes you were correct, I had, like an unthinking dolt, assumed the right-angle ends were for the Rxs.  Turns out they're the BDS side.  (Not labeled like the older BDS cables mind you.)

Not sure why I didn't test that before posting.  I even thought to myself that hmm, those straight ends look just like they fit the Rxs.  (Insert too-loud throat clearing) So yeah anyway everything works.

Based upon what you said Senor Trew, I bet the reason one of the 12 worked is because for whatever reason that one output had a wonky "length sensor" (for lack of a better term), so that a shorter connector functioned like a longer one and made it an active output.

Doh!

Dan Izen

Ha ha yes you were correct, I had, like an unthinking dolt, assumed the right-angle ends were for the Rxs.  Turns out they're the BDS side.  (Not labeled like the older BDS cables mind you.)

Not sure why I didn't test that before posting.  I even thought to myself that hmm, those straight ends look just like they fit the Rxs.  (Insert too-loud throat clearing) So yeah anyway everything works.

Based upon what you said Senor Trew, I bet the reason one of the 12 worked is because for whatever reason that one output had a wonky "length sensor" (for lack of a better term),...

Dan Izen

My guess is that the oddly working outlet was torqued a little to hard duing assmbly and shorted the switch, making it active all the time. Probably a non-issue, but we'll repair/replace it if you want.

Glen Trew