Clearing out the backups

mikewest

We are shooting with two un-blimped 35mm cameras - I found out on the day.

No dialogue just a guy hammering nails.

Yep take 1 !!!!!

Then the director asked if I was using a stereo boom !!!????

In the afternoon shooting a guy using a hydraulic jack hammer in a building!

No dialogue, but same comment from director!

I asked the UPM to find someone else for day2!!

Happy New Year

mike

German Commercial.mp3

Hi Mark

I questioned him "Did you ask for one?"

His reply was "it doesn't matter"

I put a CUB-01 under the wood work and got some wilds later!

Withe the jack hammer scenario he asked what kind of boom mike I was using !!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to work with professionals eh!!

Cheers

mike

Why not? You want a jackhammer in stereo? Ok. it might not get you what you imagine, but you're paying me, I'm here to give you what you want. I'm guessing you can't hear the unblimped cameras over a jack hammer, but i wouldn't know, I've never been in that situation. Personally i disagree with a lot of things in production, but I'm not in charge, so .... (and if i was I'd probably make the same mistakes :) )

Thanks for the comments.

This Director's misguided judgement did not consider:

1/ two unblimped 35mm cameras are not the best for usable audio.

2/ with no dialogue at all wild tracks of the sounds were the solution.

3/ raving at me was not the solution

mike

The better answer, (also the better answer to your surround recording discussion in another thread)  is that when the people paying you request a specific thing, give it to them in some form or another.

if they want a stereo mic, give them a stereo mic and charge accordingly.

if they want a surround mic, give them a surround mic and charge accordingly.

If it is something stupid, it's always good to discuss how or why they want what they want.  When they insist, they are the ones paying you, it's their project, it's their money.  Give them what they want!

-Being profesional 101 by C.Calandro

I agree and always bring what is required.

With commercial work I find I receive beforehand a script that may change, story boards that may not define

how the shots will work and the expectation that I will turn up prepared.

No meetings, no location reccy and do you really need a boom operator!!

That's show business!

mike

The better answer, (also the better answer to your surround recording discussion in another thread) is that when the people paying you request a specific thing, give it to them in some form or another.

if they want a stereo mic, give them a stereo mic and charge accordingly.

if they want a surround mic, give them a surround mic and charge accordingly.

If it is something stupid, it's always good to discuss how or why they want what they want. When they insist, they are the ones paying you, it's their project, it's their money. Give them what they want!

-Being profesional 101 by C.Calandro

If they ask for a piece of gear in the middle of the day, not much you can do. I usually carry some extra gear, but my stereo shotgun is not something I carry "just in case".

If they ask for a piece of gear in the middle of the day, not much you can do. I usually carry some extra gear, but my stereo shotgun is not something I carry "just in case".

"Do you have comteks on you for the director?"

-Nice, I'm prepared, good thing I always have a tx/3 rx in the backpack- "Sure do, it will be an additional rental cost of $40 and $15 for each additional receiver."

"... You have them on you, and it's an additional $40 just to pull them out of the bag?"

"Yes, it's not part of the basic kit rental, anything beyond that is an additional cost."

"Serious...?"

"Yes..."

"Never mind, just tell them you don't have any."

Never get another call from production company.  Sometimes being prepared is annoying, though I'm sure I would have gotten a parallel reaction if I didn't bring them. "Why don't you carry comteks on you?"  And never hear from them again... again.

Taking a page out of the Eric Toline school of sound and re-writing it, hope I would have recorded my mono mic to two channels during those wild tracks, labeled 'em 'stereo' and charged 'em extra for the very expensive stereo mic. That (seems to me) is business.

I anxiously await a Business of Sound Seminar put on by Jan. 

My accountant and I would be very happy to attend!

Cheers, 

R

Taking a page out of the Eric Toline school of sound and re-writing it, hope I would have recorded my mono mic to two channels during those wild tracks, labeled 'em 'stereo' and charged 'em extra for the very expensive stereo mic. That (seems to me) is business.

This is what I call wit.

• 3 weeks later...