Astro Van

Richard Ragon

I'm sure this has been talked about here.  The SUV that I have is just getting a bit too small now, with all the equipment that I've got now.  Adding in Blankets, a few cones perhaps, maybe a tarp or two...

Anyway, I'm thinking about one of those Chev Astro Vans, or a similar small van.

1323.jpg

Seams small enough to park around LA, large enough for a Magliner Cart and Util Cart plus other items.  Lots of older 05's out there as fleets are upgrading vans these days..

Thoughts?

I believe the Astro is the old model. The new Chevy is the Express, which is here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/express/

The GMC equivalent is the Savana:

http://www.gmc.com/savana/index.jsp?seo=goo_|_2008_GMC_Retention_|_IMG_GMC_Savana_|_GMC_Savana_|_gmc_savana

Also look at the Ford E150:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/eseries/

I've looked at all three, and much as I hate to say it, the Ford actually is a better deal, at least in terms of available options. Truck dealers are in major pain right now, because of rising fuel prices, and I think there's some good deals out there.

Be wary of used vans with intense mileage. Companies tend to drive these things to death (100,000+ miles in a couple of years is not that unusual for cargo vans).

--Marc W.

My biggest thing..

The express Vans are just too big.  Trying to park that thing in LA would be hard, where as the Astro would be easier.  Also, the astro is a V6 so there's a little better gas millage.

I just measured the interior, and it looks like it will fit a Magliner Jr, without the sound panel on the top. 

I know the miles are insane from the previous owner.. but it least it's Fleet maintained, one owner.  Don't know if it's been in a crash, perhaps CARFAX can tell me that too..

Like you guys say, 2005 is the last year.  Fleets are getting rid of these now, so this might be the last time to pick one up.

I recently dented my old Dodge cargo-type minivan, and ended up deciding to fix it even though Kelly BB says its value is very low.  For one thing, I've kept up on the maintenance, and it would be a pain to replace the expanded metal cage, ramps and floor mats, and for another there don't seem to be these kinds of vehicles available around here unless they have very high mileage or very high prices.  I really do not want a passenger van with the seats out--I like having a real cargo van w/ no back windows, no carpet and open space.  I drove an E150 for 13 years--never again for me.  If you can find an Astro that is fitted out for working (not a pass van) that hasn't been beaten to death for a decent price used you are on fire--I'll be interested to hear how you do.  I agree about the parking vs. size thing: I work on a lot of little jobs in an urban area--the van has to be able to get into parking garages of all sorts (even the snooty executive ones downtown) and I think its small size gets transpo guys to park me closer to the set on big jobs than if I still had my Econoline.

A built magliner fits sideways in my mini van, with about 6" of headroom thru the side door (one reason why I have a "horizontal" type cart).  I've gotten a 2nd built cart in as well by turning it lengthwise once it was in.  I have a friend who does video assist who has an Astro--he ramps in and out of the back--works well.

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815077689_thumb.jpg

I've been working with a pair of Safari vans for many years. (GMC's Astro - identical in every way,  from what I can tell)

I bought my 91 new, and it still works fine... especially with the new transmission 3 years ago. 

My more regular ride,  for smaller jobs is my 98 -- it is AWD, and handles GREAT... like "tiger paws"

Both of my vans have the rear bench removed, and bucket seats in the middle. 

This gives good space for long stuff, ramps, etc.... and seats for the occasional passengers... or more pelican cases, whichever

is more important at the time !

Taking care to avoid damaging the rear AC (above the rear doors), I can ramp up one of my built and shelved Magliner Juniors

with ease, but lately I've gotten more accustomed to my lighter, shelved Rock n Roller (4 Pneumatics) which fits just fine, too.

Of all the mini vans available, the Astro is the only one with the height I needed.

There is plenty of space behind the middle seats for just about all but the biggest of my commercial days.... and yes, I've done

lots of independent feature work from the back of one of these....   

I have nothing bad to say about these vans....  they have been solid and dependable and easy to fix when they need attention....

MF

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta Field Production, Inc.

My 00 Windstar has been a really good production minivan. The headroom is just enough to get the magliner jr. minus the top-shelf ramped in the side doors (one on each side is a great feature!). The ground clearance is low, which makes the ramp easier to use, and it gets pretty decent mileage, which is becoming very valuable nowadays! Not too expensive either.

One of the advantages of the passenger mini-van is that the resale value is VERY low and they usually have fewer miles and are less beat up than the "cargo" counterpart.

Another advantage is that as a passenger vehicle, you can often park it on location and not worry about being in the shot, and it'll fit in any standard garage.

But for me, although I now have a trailer, it's the fact that that the passenger versions have seat brackets that make amazing tie down points.

Robert

One of the advantages of the passenger mini-van is that the resale value is VERY low and they usually have fewer miles and are less beat up than the "cargo" counterpart.

Another advantage is that as a passenger vehicle, you can often park it on location and not worry about being in the shot, and it'll fit in any standard garage.

But for me, although I now have a trailer, it's the fact that that the passenger versions have seat brackets that make amazing tie down points.

Robert

I have generally found all those tie down points, side armrests, interior paddings and cupholders as well as seatbelts to be very in the way.  I also really like having as few windows as possible, working in an urban area.  I didn't find that the used passenger minivans I saw had lower mileage than the cargo vans at all--if anything they were higher, but that may be just the price zone I was looking in.  A cargo van can be easily set up with bolt-on shelving etc etc, although that "American Van" stuff is expensive.  I see that Ford is going to start importing the "Transit" utility vehicles into the US next year, and that might be a solution for a small package (for those who can afford to buy new).

Another question--do you folks have commercial plates on your vans/trucks?  I've had them for nearly 25 yrs--more expensive but they add some flexibility for parking in the city (yellow zones etc).  I think I'm going to start a new thread w/ that.

Philip Perkins