SD 633 lock up problems - anyone else?

srsonido

On the other side of the world, just got back from a BBC shoot in Botswana where temperatures were 37 - 40 degrees daily. The unit got quite warm indeed but did not fail, Only weirdness I had was machine wanting to change daily folder in the middle of the day a few times and one slow CF media warning.. running 6 tracks mostly to 2 x SD approved cards. I have full confidence in this piece of gear for future away gigs.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporting in that all went well with the 633 on yesterdays shoot. Simple set up 2 wires, and 2 booms double system feeding the red epic for sit down interviews. Great little mixer, I think I'll be adding a couple SRB's and keeping the 411's on hand for more hostile conditions since they are taking up more space then I'd like in the Petrol PS607.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last report a month ago, I've had the 633 out a number of times, and I haven't had a single lockup I couldn't explain.

One lockup was when trying some really random SD card to use as a Settings Setup card - I thought the weirdo 16 MB(!) card that came bundled with my Edirol R09  8 years ago would be a perfect settings card - small capacity for small files.  Well... that locked up the recorder as fast as I could hit the format button...  

OK, rule 1 - recommended media is for all uses - not just recording 10 mono tracks!

Every other lockup occurred when I was playing with an external keyboard.  I have decided to give up external keyboards until the next firmware revision, and have gotten quite familiar with and relatively fast using the onboard text editing system.

Still think it's an awesome little machine!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Been pounding on mine since November. Couldn't be happier.

Aside from the Delkin card debacle, I've had a couple lockups. One was a take where I had made a long notes entry. Any attempts to edit it resulted in a freeze as well.

Also I was trying to rename a file the other day which resulted in a freeze.

Those aside, it's been a joy to use. I wish it had appeared prior to the 664 as well.

Thanks for that note Tom!  I'll add that the Rii RT-MWK01 is a wifi 2.4g keyboard and that the Rii RT-MWK02 is a bluetooth keyboard.

The Bluetooth keyboard DOES NOT WORK with the 633.  Ask me how I know...

At least it was really cheap... I've been waiting to find the K01 as cheap... It can be found in the US for around $20, but I've not found it in Canada for less than $50.  Hopefully the new Federal Budget will take care of that!  

(For those of you not following Canadian politics, the government has decided to crackdown on multinational companies who charge Canadians outrageously different prices than charged in the US)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

And Chris, a list of approved keyboards is not a bad idea..  In the 633 user manual, it states that keyboards with a USB Hub are not compatible and that SOME keyboards have to be disconnected when powering up the 633.  

I'd like to know the keyboards that don't have to be disconnected!  The Case-logic travel keyboard that I have does need to be disconnected before power-up.

Hey Tom, maybe you could fool around with the Rii a bit and try to make it fail and let us know?  Will it work through power ups and downs?

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

So I tried the Rii RT-MWK01 keyboard connected to the 633 while I powered the 633 on and off 30 times.  I tried entering track names, selecting record tracks, recording, navigating with the Rii, turning the keyboard on and off, and I did not experience any lock ups.  By the way, this same keyboard also works well with my 664.

Tom

Has anyone here tried the Rii T-MWK01 successfully with 633/664? Looking at the specs, it seems that the only difference is that the Rii RT-MWK01 has a laser feature, which I don't see myself ever needing. And the former is half the price.

As we know, sometimes things appear to be the same, but there are certain gremlins inside a device that will not show itself until you try it (like the Delkin cards for example).

Yup. Wired kbd. Been using the Rii lately without issue. I really wish it had the same USB port type as the 788, though.

In my opinion, this is the USB cable that SHOULD be included with the 633 and the 664.

http://www.adorama.com/C2G28066.html

It is available in a 6", 1 ft, 2 ft, and 3 ft version. In most cases the 1 footer is just right. I simply find a place to "tie wrap" it on to my bag.near the 633/664 USB port.

Tom

Has anyone here tried the Rii T-MWK01 successfully with 633/664? Looking at the specs, it seems that the only difference is that the Rii RT-MWK01 has a laser feature, which I don't see myself ever needing. And the former is half the price.

As we know, sometimes things appear to be the same, but there are certain gremlins inside a device that will not show itself until you try it (like the Delkin cards for example).

Johnny, the Rii T-MWK01 I have has the laser pointer as well. Never had a problem with it causing lock-ups or other trouble with my 664. Both model numbers are around $20.00 on Amazon.

Best regards,

Jim