SD 633 lock up problems - anyone else?

srsonido

glad to hear the majority of 633 users have had no issues. Just thought I would share my insanely bad luck with the 633.

February 2014 - a whole month of studio work.

Client wants me to use their equipment to help showcase what the stage can offer young film makers.

Brand new 633 bundle package from the good folks at Location Sound. Approved media included.

First 3 days were amazing - then the trouble started.

While using it to send a scratch feed to camera for a music video shoot it dies - tried removing house power, using fresh AA's to restart - nothing. Master reset -unsuccessful.

After a few minutes I retrieved the batteries and they were very hot. 

Call boss, next day a replacement unit arrives.

First 2 hours were great, then LCD screen starts scrolling infinitely like a poorly adjusted CRT - Below is a link of what was going on. Emailed the vendor as well as SD - both were at a loss.

I personally went to location sound to replace the 2nd unit and convince them I was not operating the 633 with a sledge hammer.

3rd unit worked perfectly.

Terrific machine once my bad luck wore off.

apologies for sideways video

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what do you users think about the REC button ? Since that is my ( on paper ) small concern...is this small and tiny control a issue when working ?

I'll be the voice of dissent and express my personal opinion that I dislike the transport joystick. It is the one reason I haven't bought a 633 yet. However, nothing else out there touches the 633 for value and some of the competing products have an even worse transport interface.

The joystick control is way better (in my opinion) than, say, the button on a 7 series recorder.

It has positive feedback when you move it (meaning it actually moves...) and the headphone beep confirms that you are rolling.

It also is easy to trigger while wearing largest mitts that you might wear on a cold day, just poke the joystick away from you with your thumb. Not something that's likely to sell the 633 to Mr Visser, but works nicely for me!

Beyond the mitt thing, it's also very easy to find the record joystick without looking at it, just sweep your hand up across the machine and there it is, no mistaking it for any other controller.

I have yet to, in the midst of some serious rough and tumble run 'n gun, have it accidentally button off...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...