SD 633 lock up problems - anyone else?

srsonido

Mine's been rock solid as well, even on a shoot in a snow storm by -15 degrees centigrade. I don't use any USB keyboard.

I'm shooting on an approved SanDisk Extreme 64 Gb SD card, as well as a non-approved cheap Transcend 133x 32 Gb CF card. No problem whatsoever.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brent,

I've only recorded poly wav files on the Transcend cards with the SD 633, and only up to 6 tracks so far, but all without any problems.

I've previously used these cards on my Sonsax SX-R4 and SX62R recorders to record 8 track poly wav files and they have been working great for several years now. I'm rotating 6 Transcend 133x CF cards on these recorders, which are known for being quite finicky about the CF cards used.

All in all, I've had more issues with SanDisk cards than with Transcend cards over the years on the Sonosax recorders, as well as on the SD 744T. We'll see how they hold up in the 633 over time.

Cheers,

Jürg

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back from 5 weeks in the Sahel & beyond: my 633 performed flawlessly, not a hiccup.

Used 2 Sandisk Extreme 60 MB/s 32 GB CF cards & 2 Lexar Pro 400x 64GB SDHC cards.

Certainly nary a drop of rain or even dew but lots of dust and then that ridiculously fine sand of the Sahara. A judicious spray of my coveted dust off & not the slightest feel of any crunchies on the faders or dials either. Can't say the same thing about my rice however...

FYI, I took two of them & the backup never left the case - or hotel room for that matter. But the peace of mind was priceless.

If another trip to the yonders doesn't pan out in the next week or so, I am thinking of selling the 2nd 633- 2 months old & ever so slightly used as-new, if anyone interested.

• 1 month later...

Any rumors or information on when the SECOND production run of the 633 may be.....    IF that happens in batches....  

I have no idea if it works like that at SD...

Did anybody ask at NAB...

Just asking... 

Second?  Pretty sure in the five moths the 633 has been out, they are well beyond a second production run.

I just used my 633 at an event where we'd shoot interviews then break for about an hour then another interview. So I would power down gear and then power back up for next interview. I experienced the 633 locking up three times over the course of 3 days. Luckily I used the menu button trick but the initial inability to do anything causes a great deal of panic. Hoping there's a fix for this soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just used my 633 at an event where we'd shoot interviews then break for about an hour then another interview. So I would power down gear and then power back up for next interview. I experienced the 633 locking up three times over the course of 3 days. Luckily I used the menu button trick but the initial inability to do anything causes a great deal of panic. Hoping there's a fix for this soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you contact support?  Send a setup file?

• 1 month later...

well I got my 633 three days ago and after rolling all day yesterday on a delkin 64gb cf and a transcend 64gb SD it locked up the start of day 2. maybe the cards, I know. weird thing was that even after restarting the rotary knob would not work in the menu and only the wireless RIi keyboard. I finally had to reflash firmware 1.02 and now it seems to be working. I'll buy approved media and hope that fixes it.

i have only had the 633 for a couple days but each day it has locked up.  i have switched media (although none of it is on the approved list although it has worked with my 644 for a while, i just bought some coming in this week) and each time it locks up, it is NOT recording.  thats a blessing i guess.  it froze with signal lights lit and timecode froze and i didnt know about the "press home button for 10 seconds to power down" trick so i had to wait for the capacitors or whatever they use to discharge while the producer was wondering whether to fire me.  spooky.  i am going to get the approved media in and unplug my Rii keyboard and see if problems continue.  if so, ill be calling SD.  i already had to reflash the 1.02 firmware because after the first lockup the rotary knob would not move through the menu and the system showed NO files on the media although the files were there.  weirdness.

Stay with me for a minute here...

A lot of people report freezeups and other problems with the newest GoPro cameras... at least for a while until firmware works it out... And almost all of those cases people are using 64gb or some offbrand cards.

Meanwhile I've never had a problem...

I highly suggest two 32s over one 64... I'm curious if anyone on this board has had their 633 lock up with an approved 32? I'm willing to bet "no"...

As has been mentioned by a few... there are bad GOOD cards...  fake cards... and cards that are not approved that work... so... I guess you have to do what you can to buy the right card from a reputable place of business, then hope it is a reliable card. If you run into an issue, power down, reset your 633 if necessary, swap cards and get rolling again...  

I think it is business as usual with this type of gear...Well made for sure... 99% of the time it works great... We all I think have to hope for flawless performance, but be practical in understanding that the beast as it exists today has it's own ideas as to when it will reveal it's ugly head... just be ready, stay calm and get going as soon as you can.

Computers, phones, cameras, cars.... hell everything has issues from time to time .... The more intricate the electronics, the more possibilities for errors.. It's not just our recording gear.... or the cards... It's everything...