QRX-100 lockdown from walkie

mghough

I was recently working on a reality show in China.  On the first day of shooting out of the blue my QRX froze.  The screen went to pixels and I had to do a hard restart to get it working again.  This continued to happen randomly throughout the day.  It was really stressing me out.  When the QRX locked down it cut all sound from the transmitters so it was a big issue.  This had never happened to me before so I was at a loss, scrambling to try to figure out what was going on.  I noticed that it happened again as soon as i engaged the transmit button on my in-ear walkie.  I quickly restarted and tried to transmit again with the walkie close to my QRX.  Sure enough it locked it down almost every time.  I asked the AD if he could ask the crew to change the walks to another FQ which seemed to have helped.  Watch out for walkies transmitting close to your QRXs though.   :)

We've (accidentally) learned you can crash a C300 with a Motorola walkie being too close to the camera when you click transmit. Within a certain proximity, it will make the LCD look weird (though it records this weirdness).

A camera op was shooting from the hip (no pun intended) and talking to other camera ops when we stumbled onto this. His walkie was on his belt. Don't recall if we tried different freqs on the walkie.

Knowing that, I could see it messing with a gear.

QRX is in block 25.  The walkies were some Chinese knock-off brand that I've never heard of.  I tried to figure out the FQ range for the walkies but it wasn't printed on the units and the tech staff wasn't any help.  I contacted Zaxcom and they said:

"I could try sending you some new software that changes how the synthesizer chip works."

never got it though. :)  My walkie was on my back belt but there were times that I was right on top of the camera guys because the location was pretty tight.  I think there walkies were within 6" of the QRX when it went crazy.  You have to be pretty close for it to cause a problem.  On a film set i don't think it would be an issue but for ENG or reality where we tend to have to squeeze tight spaces pretty regularly, it's something to keep in mind.

Radio can do weird stuff.

I have a 60 watt mobile ham radio that can boot my G4 mac tower from across the room when it transmits.

I also am part of a volunteer mountain rescue team and transmitting on the radios in our base station can sometimes turn on the photocopier.

Makes me want to wear a tinfoil hat fulltime....

Cheers,

Bren Calkin

On the C300, the antenna was less than 6" from the C300. Probably more like 1". You figure a lot of us wear Moto walkies on our belt and they are much less than a foot from our receivers and recorders, but even a few inches can make all the difference. Same tricks when hops/IFB mess with RXs.

If those walkies work like Motos, they are programmed. There isn't an easy way to figure out what channel is what frequency in the field. It is also possible they have some sort of RF burst when you key. Best thing might be to wear the walkie on your back, or I wear mine up on my harness. That extra distance may be enough to save you.

Why do I have the feeling that's not the first time you have used that chat up line....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes I'll admit, I've used it before!! But only when the timing is right. It's all about timing, you can't just say it willy nilly or throw it around haphazardly!!