MM-1 and G3 - does it sound that bad?

cinetj

Hi,

I've recently tried to make a wireless boom config using a mm1 and a g3. I've made a mini-jack - xlr female cable using some of the specifications mentioned in another threads of this forum: shield to 1 and 3 on the xlr, hot on 2; hot on ring on the mini, shield/ground and negative/cold cable to sleeve. I did also a variation with a 18Kohm, 1/8 watt resistor  on the hot cable.

I've got sound on both situations but it's not great, I must say. There is a little hiss, maybe neglieable in a exterior shoot, where I intend to use this set up, but what disturbs me the most is the timbre of the sound itself. It lacks low end information (double checked; no filters), a little "hollow" in my opinion. I don't think the sound is distorted, it's more like a very subtil case of phasing... Is this the normal thing or I should do something about the cables? Anyone with this setup that could shed some light on this?

From the MM-1 user manual:

"Both the microphone input and line output of the MM-1 can be balanced or unbalanced without 

problems. When unbalancing (either input or output) ground pin 3 to pin 1. There is no change in 
gain with an unbalanced connection into or out of the MM-1."

Seems like you have the XLR end correctly wired.

In the Sennheiser line level wired config., the 1/8' plug's tip needs to be tied to shield. Don't know it's the cause of the the 'thin'  sound though. What's the 18k ohm resistor for? Attenuation?

Thank you, Rick. Maybe I've got this wrong in the first place. I thought that the negative/cold cable that should be wired to the sleeve no matter what. In fact, it's the shield cable that must be soldered to the tip. I do just like in the xlr? Half of the shield cable on the tip, the other half on the sleeve (as in shield on 1 and 3 on the xlr). The negative cable could just stay loosen? And, to answer your question, yes, the resistor was put there for attenuation.

In the Sennheiser line level wired config., the 1/8' plug's tip needs to be tied to shield. Don't know it's the cause of the the 'thin'  sound though. What's the 18k ohm resistor for? Attenuation?

That is correct!

You must connect the shield o BOTH the tip and the sleeve of the mini plug, and the signal + to the ring. I've probably wired a dozen or more of these cables and that is the only configuration that works "well".

Tom

Same  as Tom stated above..

I wire the XLR to G3 line level config. as such:
XLR pin-1 (shield/ground) to mini-plug Tip & Shield
XLR pin-2 (hot) to mini-plug Ring
XLR pin 3 (cold) jumped in XLR to pin-1*

As 'cinetj' did, an attenuation resistor may be necessary, as program peaks in excess of  +14dB (or so) will clip the G2/3 SK100 bodypack  transmitter's input stage... regardless of the sensitivity adj.

* NOTE:  for unbalanced XLR output on a Sound Devices 302 , SD states that XLR pin 3 should be floated.

this applies to the 302 only.. so refer to the manual prior to making the cable.

I tried to make another line cable from the g3 to the alexa audio input (xlr 5 pin balanced), for only one channel, and the same approach didn't work. What worked was a simple balanced connection: tip to three (negative), ring to two (hot), shield to one.

cinetj,

That is correct.  The output wiring from a G3 receiver is unbalanced only!  I have not had to wire a cable for the Alexa, but I would suspect:

G3 Tip to Alexa signal "+"

G3 Sleeve to Alexa signal "-" AND shield.

That's how the XLR cable included with the G3 receiver is wired.

Tom