Don't buy Loon Boom Poles

drewstorm

I understand your frustration! I've had my 12ft loon for almost 5 years with no issues.

Recently I ordered a new internal cable and have yet to recieve it.

After a few unanswered emails I decided to call. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Don regarding his business practice. He told me for the better part of the last year he has been running his business solo..no employees. So as you can imagine he is months behind on manufacturing and repair. He's completely overwhelmed and I could hear it in his voice.

He also told me that he has been working on a long term solution to deal with manufacturing and distribution.

I'm not trying to defend Don, just passing along tidbits from my converstation with him. Super nice guy..admittedly terrible at communicating with people, and has said he feels terrible about the reputation that he's gotten because of it.

Drewstorm

"....... had one of it's stoppers come unglued....."

Funnily enough this happened to me a month or so back. The Loon is about 4-5 years old and is my main PSC pole (12"?).

I've decided to keep working with it as it's fine if I don't pull the particular section out too far. 

It's a fantastic pole and I would invest in a new one if I had more confidence in the 'distribution' side of things.

My Loon has lasted a lot more than a year. I'm approaching 5 years now with no problems. 18 foot pole that often takes a full blimp. I really hope they sort it out, it's a great product. I worked on a job a few months ago and it was the first time my boom op touched a Loon, and he fell in love with it too. He used it for everything indoors and out, even though we had 4 poles with us.

That said, it sucks what you are dealing with. I fear the day I need a repair.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand your frustration! I've had my 12ft loon for almost 5 years with no issues.

Recently I ordered a new internal cable and have yet to recieve it.

After a few unanswered emails I decided to call. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Don regarding his business practice. He told me for the better part of the last year he has been running his business solo..no employees. So as you can imagine he is months behind on manufacturing and repair. He's completely overwhelmed and I could hear it in his voice.

He also told me that he has been working on a long term solution to deal with manufacturing and distribution.

I'm not trying to defend Don, just passing along tidbits from my converstation with him. Super nice guy..admittedly terrible at communicating with people, and has said he feels terrible about the reputation that he's gotten because of it.

I had the exact same conversation with him back in last October, he literally said those same things.  I was able to order a few new parts to my Loon, and then I kept asking him for an invoice as to how much I owed him for the parts and he has yet to get back to me, send me an invoice, or answer any calls/emails.  I try about once a month still to try paying him, but still nothing.  All I can say is, for those that want an excellent boom.. get one, but when you do... order all the parts...extra parts to last you a very long time right then and there.  Pay on delivery as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but didn't wanna start a new one for this and the thread was the most current on Loon's.

This was sorta custom made for me from Audio Department in Burbank, CA.  I didn't like the wing style from Loon and very much wanted something similar to K-Teks CCR's or PSC's version.  After several years of having this idea in the back burner for my Loon, I asked them to come up with something.  This is the end result and I am extremely happy.

Gabe

post-518-0-13505800-1396588215_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-94802900-1396588237_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

The trick with Loon, I think, is buying from a dealer, not from Loonaudio.com...

I recently worked with a guy who had brand new poles (2 of them) and going through a local dealer, he didn't have any problem.

I noticed they changed the wing design. Nice work. Best pole I got is a Loon by a long way (got 4 different brands).

Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but didn't wanna start a new one for this and the thread was the most current on Loon's.

This was sorta custom made for me from Audio Department in Burbank, CA.  I didn't like the wing style from Loon and very much wanted something similar to K-Teks CCR's or PSC's version.  After several years of having this idea in the back burner for my Loon, I asked them to come up with something.  This is the end result and I am extremely happy.

Gabe

That bottom machined part and rubber base sure look like one of my boom parts. 

Ron M.

PSC