DSLR input cable

Jack Norflus

Normally I don't send a scratch track to a DSLR - and let the camera mic do its thing.

But I have a shoot coming up where I need to feed the camera a scratch. I am going to be using my ERX to feed the DSLR and I need to make up a short jumper cable.

I will be using a right angle 3.5mm on the ERX end but I am trying to decide is it better to put a straight mini on the camera end or go with a right angle. Any thoughts pro or con?

Also what length cable do you recommend? Do operators generally attach the ERX to the camera rig or do they put it in a pocket or place it on their belt?

On most DSLR cameras I've seen right-angled plug would be better, but it depends on how deeply recessed the socket is. Also if they have something connected right next to the audio input an RA plug might cause more problems than it solved. I'd go for a straight one just in case.

I have never ever seen a camera op put a rx anywhere else than on the camera or the rig. So a few inches should be enough, although a few inches more just to be safe, you can always coil up the rest

I've used a right angle on both sides of that cable.  If the camera ops are going to shoot with a "naked" dslr with no rig, then that connector gets bumped often.  It depends greatly on the rig that the camera operator will be using as to where the erx will wind up.  I've seen many configurations ranging from the 5d by itself with the ERX mounted with velcro on top of the hot shoe where the flash is located, to a full on shoulder rig with rails and the ERX is mounted farther back near where the ballast weight is located.  For both instances I used a cable that was 1' and had good success with it.  However in both instances the ERX was horizontal which as you know isn't as good for reception.  

The problem with putting it on their belt is what happens when they stop shooting.  Odds are they will put the camera down, disconnect the cable, go 10-100 etc., resume shooting while forgetting to reconnect the ERX.

In my experience 90 degree as always been the best for me since you can camera tape the connector in for extra safety. These cable comes an a million forms/lenght and are very cheap. I like to keep a variety of these in my kit because they re handy for a lot of things including playing tunes in the production van. I ve seen some neat short coiled cable 90 degree that should work well. Personnaly i really dig these because they adapt lenght from very short two very long.post-2158-138946805817.jpg

About 12" works most of the time. Rt angle on the cam end.  Figure on landing in the camera shoe unless they've parked a monitor there.  If they do that then have some widget to allow you to attach to a 1/4-20 bolt hole on the monitor.  If the moni has no bolt holes then velcro is your friend.  If the rig is more baroque and has rails and cheese-plates avail then there are other possibilities.  I don't like shooters having RX anywhere but attached to the camera--that's an accident waiting to happen, and it will happen right away (when the shooter forgets that the camera is cabled to their pocket or belt).  We used to have to do this, we have bettter solutions now.

philp

HI Jack,

I have 2 12" cables for my ERXs to feed DSLRs. Both have one straight connector and one right angle. Typically I mount the ERX on the shoe and try the right angle end on the camera, but I've had a number of DSLRs that need a real firm push to get the right angle connector into the input, while the straight end works just fine. If I get any real resistance, I use the straight end on there.

With every DSLR I've worked with, I've either attached it to the shoe or somewhere onto the rod assembly.

Marc