2.4 ghz Frequency Scanning App

Solid Goldberger

Hiya friends:

In the Zaxcom ERX series manual, it says:

"TIP: There are several smart phone apps that will scan what wi-fi frequencies are being used in your area. This can be useful in selecting a clear frequency."

I just looked on the App Store and have found nearly a hundred different versions of this, none of which seem exactly right for our purposes in this application. Can anyone recommend an app that's working for them to help choose Zaxnet frequencies?

Thanks in advance,

E.

To be honest i ve always set my erx's to 2.475 and never ran into problems with them really. It s a sctrach track to camera and if the pack loses signal it will keep on providing tc so i don t make a big deal out of it really.

I m glad to know now how to solve issues if i run into them now though.

I don't know exactly why, but it's in the manual, and Howy has recommended using even numbered frequencies. I haven't noticed the difference, but it's supposed to perform better.

I use WiEye app for Android and anytime I do a scan 2.412 & 2.462 seems to be the most common frequencies.

As Wandering Ear mentioned above about even freq allocation I have tuned my Nomad and ERXs to 2.430 and TRXs to 2.468 with increments of .002 for additional TRXs to allow monitoring from the ERXs.

Trev

You can also step on WiFi networks with your tx. I've disrupted networks on some of our private home locations. Didn't realize it was me causing the problem until I turned off the Nomad and it came back.

This is especially bad when using a high powered amp like the 1 watt i use on my cart. Easy to render a wifi network useless. Many routers default to automatic channel assignments, which usually alleviates the issue.

• 1 month later...

la_RF_Explorer_RFEM2.4G.jpg

RFEM2.4G is an expansion module for RF Explorer WSUB1G. It can be plugged in your RF Explorer unit to extend the coverage to 2.4GHz frequency band. It gets attached internally to the RF Explorer main board and exhibits a second antenna connector to cover the new band.

•  Easy to plug in your RF Explorer unit, compatible with all models.
•  Extend band coverage to popular 2.4Ghz technologies such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and ZigBee
•  Extend internal FLASH and RAM memory for additional capabilities
•  Lifetime free firmware upgrades available, open to community requested features

Specifications:
Frequency band coverage: 2400-2484 MHz
Standard SMA 50 ohms connector, a matching antenna is included
Amplitude resolution: 0.5dBm
Dynamic range: -105dBm to -15dBm
Absolute Max input power: +5dBm
Average noise level (typical): -105dBm
RF generator amplitude: -30dBm to +1dBm
Frequency stability and accuracy (typical): +/-10ppm
Amplitude stability and accuracy (typical): +/-3dBm
Frequency resolution: 1KHz
Resolution bandwidth (RBW): automatic 58KHz to 812KHz

For EU users: http://audiosense.be/?go=products&cat=5

• 9 months later...

Wanted to bring this topic up again to see if anyone had any updates on 2.4 scanning. I have a macbook air on set with me all the time and recently bought a laptop app wifi scanner. It works great to show wifi signals in the area to help work around existing 2.4 spectrum activities, but does not show zaxnet activity at all even though qrx and camera link are powered on and falling within the visual frequency map. So it is my understanding these are strictly network scanners and not showing everything in the air like other 2.4 devices. Has anyone come across a laptop app that lets you see everything or is a hardware scanner still the only option? The 2.475 works great until I want to add a 2nd or 3rd zaxnet signal then it seems better chances to step or be stepped in the lower relms...

-ken

I was told (by esteemed mixer Jason Todd) that if your Zaxnet is coming out of a Nomad you should pick an even frequency (i.e. 2.474).  Something to do with how the elves put out the signal.  They like even numbers.  I maybe got a little more range out of it, not sure.

Also, you could just get a cheap Android phone.  Ethan I have an old one that is worth about $10.  I'd gladly trade it for that nice glass of wine you treated me to.

I was told (by esteemed mixer Jason Todd) that if your Zaxnet is coming out of a Nomad you should pick an even frequency (i.e. 2.474). Something to do with how the elves put out the signal. They like even numbers. I maybe got a little more range out of it, not sure.

Also, you could just get a cheap Android phone. Ethan I have an old one that is worth about $10. I'd gladly trade it for that nice glass of wine you treated me to.

I have been meaning to try this even number thing based on earlier posts but i am using a 633 and Camera link plus a few qrx's. Figure it cant hurt in any case. What app is avail for android that is different than a typical wifi scanner app that is avail for laptops? I certainly would check it out even via a friends phone to see how it works

-Ken