BWF Mark Point at Clapper/Sticks

Tom Duffy

Not many applications import the cue points list from broadcast wave files, but if they did, what would you want to see?

TASCAM HS-P82, etc automatically puts in mark points at the start of the data ("PRE" - for PreRoll start), at the instant the recording was started "REC", and an END point.  Then if the user hits the Mark button, they get a MARK cue point.   If the user hits the MARK button close to when the sticks are clapped, wouldn't that be useful in post-production?

If so, you'd want to differentiate it from other Mark points, which might be short hand for "flubbed line here", "bad audio/plane overhead" etc.

What about a "STIX" mark point? (We have a self imposed 4 character limit on names)

Tom (TASCAM)

Hi Tom,

I cant see the point in having a STIX mark, if it is only 'somewhere near to where the sticks went clap'. Since the amount of difference (error) will be different each time the sticks go clap, and the recordist hits the mark button, it will at best only give an indication to within a second or so of where the sticks point really is. In reality, one could look at a waveform, and see to within less than a frame, or even (if zoomed in) to within not many samples, where the sticks go clap. This would take only seconds, and would I suspect be of more use, and be most consistently reliable, than a mark to within a second or so.

I hate to be nagative, but you might be better writing a software routine that might look for a bit of waveform that looks like a clap.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

What about a "STIX" mark point? (We have a self imposed 4 character limit on names)

There are dailies applications that will automatically find the clap (loud transient snap) at the start of a file. These are commonly used in dailies prep programs like MTI Cortex Dailies:

cortex-overview-img4.jpg

I know Technicolor in Hollywood had an in-house program that would go through the start of files and immediately locate the clap -- hence its name, "Clap Finder" -- but it could be confused by multiple camera slates and other problems. I think the issue with identifying it as metadata is that it would require a lot of human intervention to go in and separate the specific camera marker for each camera, vs. a loud sound on the set or somebody clapping his or her hands.

the Cantar X2 already does this. Automatically  marks TC at first transient upon rolling, source can be specified (any input). User can also override by pressing key combination to specify the exact transient he wishes to mark. this can be done with multiple slate transients upto 3 in number. this marked TC comes in as TC SLATE (A,B,C) on the PDF sound report. 

-vin