Camera budget microphone

vitekcz

Hi,

at first sorry for my English. 

I'm in touch with one production to make a TV show. It will be now season 2 and it's different production so I need to make a new budget. 

The main sound kit is solved, but the question is about some details like a "on camera" microphones. 

Of course I would love to have on each camera Sennheiser 416 or 60 but I'm affraid that it would be over budget.

I need some RF condenser. (We wil shoot also in area with high moisture) 

I was thinking about Rode NTG, but is it RF condenser?

Any suggestion?

What do you use?

the rode ntg (1and 2) are good mics, but not rf condensers. only sennheiser mics are rf condensers. there was a recent post on this board about this topic (thread is called mkh 50.) the NTG 1 is phantom only, the NGT 2 can run on an internal battery. the NTG2 is longer, this could be an issue for camera mounting as it could get in shot with wider lenses. both mics are very robust and a good value. very light weight also.

^ He seems a bit confused in the video, right?

Anyways, I have an ME64 and I slap it on cameras with some frequency and I'm usually happy with the results. Also it's not like it's an expensive mic. If it gets damaged in the camera op's hands I don't cry, if it rains, I just let it get a bit wet and dry it out later, the softie keeps it mostly dry enough.

Overall though, I rather like the files when I get them in post, (I do post for allot of documentaries) the on camera mic is all about atmosphere for me anyways. I want to hear what the camera is seeing and if the guy is on a wide lens it does that. When I'm cutting ambience beds, I use something nice and big and wide stereo from my library and I'll pan the mono camera mic to wherever the action is on screen. Mixing it that way works very well and adds some authenticity to the mix without making things sound all big mono. It's got a touch of bite to it which tends to poke out just right when mixed back into a stereo ambience track a bit.

I've been in situations, especially on small boats and such, where the more directional 416 just blows past what the camera's looking at but the 64 covers the area rather well (wide lens). Also indoors, I prefer how reflections are handled by the 64 over the other 416, NTG2, ME66 options I have available. But if they're on a medium to longish lens, the 416 is frequently right in the sweet spot.

So much of what I get in post has something like a Rode VideoMic and just sounds rough to me. I still thank them for giving me something, even if it's not especially usable. Every little bit helps I guess.

Thank you guys, I really regard it.

The notes about cardiod mic is fine, sometimes we will shoot on small places, where the cariod could be better but most of the time the shutgan would be better, I guess. Or at least more universal.

I own 2 NTG1 mics, but to be honest, I don't like the sound much. It could be option, but for me is compromise.

And what about he Sanken CS-1e? It's not expensive like Sennheiser but better than NTG.

I just want to be ready to question : "Which microphone do we need to buy?" Because they will also thinking to buy a new camera.