XSlimmer

Brian Copenhagen turned me on to a to a piece of Shareware that seems to be an invaluable utility

All the applications you get, especially the Universal ones , are loaded with a lot of files and information you don't need, including written compatibility with either Intel or Power PC processors and instructions, data, etc. in a host of different languages.

Xslimmer weeds through all your apps  and eliminates the the excess, thinning out your drives and saving disk space. It also helps you back up whatever you deem necessary, and costs $13.00

So far it has worked cleanly and effortlessly on 5 Macs.

http://www.xslimmer.com/

Andy Rovins

Sounds like a good utility providing it really does the job properly. I have a good friend who used to try and "slim" down his Mac on his own, often with disastrous results. He used to think there were Preference files that were just taking up too much room (silly) and so he would go through his system folder and library folders, trashing everything he thought he didn't need. That's where I come in --- trying to get his whole computer back functioning while he is still wondering why he can't launch some of his favorite programs.

-  JW

• 2 years later...