Best inside mic for least echo.

Prahlad Strickland

Thanx for sharing your test and your thoughts on superCmit. Explains to me why i found Samples on the Internet which put me away from that Big Investment.

Did you have a clear 2nd Place with your test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

In terms of reverb, I'd say the Sanken CS3 but I personally don't care for the overall sound of that mic. I actually don't own one but borrowed one for the test because it was recommended as a potential solution.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(off tipic)

Aside from the amazing echo solution I've already discussed, there isn't anything the SuperCMIT CAN do that Post CAN'T in terms of removing ambient noise. (...)

I disagree. In post you can not remove traffic noise if the voice (or whatever sound) is in the same frequency range. (Or at least I do not know any noise removal tool that can do that with zero artifacts.) The special feature of the the SuperCMIT is that it rejects ambient noise even on low frequencies, resulting in a much clearer sound.

The only thing is that the superCMIT sounds a bit artificial. But only a handful of sound people hear that...

Outdoors I'd advice a Cinela Piano with the SuperCMIT to get rid of the internal reflections that the Rycote has.

(on topic)

Try unveil, I think it is pretty sweet.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/

I have tried Unveil in post on a few things, but I always preferred the unprocessed sound.

I've never used the SuperCmit ,only the Cmit, but if you read the information about how the DSP works (based on IIR filters ), it seems (on paper) more efficient then post processing noise removal, mainly because of the use of two capsule,  front and rear.

It enhance the information of the signal you want to process and further the analyse (under 3Khz) and removal of those unwanted frequency by the help of those 2 signals difference and analyse.

Unlike using only a mono signal and then trying to work from this information, in post, to remove noise or echo. Mainly with FFT based algorythm, and with generaly some artifacts if you work on the same freq as the voice, as Michiel just said.

The compagny that did the DSP part of the Super Cmit, is releasing a  reverb removal tool...

http://www.illusonic.com/de-reverb/

My problem with the Super CMIT is that in the one hour (total) I had to play around with one, my take was that they just had a small hardware version of CEDAR or something like it built in and were using one pickup to sample the background noise, subtracted from the other pickup used to actually capture the dialogue. I think you have far more control over this in post. And I'm still dodgy on the idea of using a shotgun in an echoey room. I think you have to find a way to control the reverb first and then try a couple of different mics second. 

If you listen to the various settings in the demo before, you can hear tons of artifacts in there. I don't dispute that the mic has some uses, but I think it's a very specialized tool that won't necessarily solve the o.p.'s problems.

The before & after comparison starts about 1:50 in.

"And I'm still dodgy on the idea of using a shotgun in an echoey room. I think you have to find a way to control the reverb first and then try a couple of different mics second."

Totally agree

And concerning the Super Cmit, after listening to the clip, it seems to be a really good tool mostly for ENG stuff, where post don't have time to work on sound properly or to give editing a "cleaner" worktrack option if nothing else works . Maybe also for IFB in critical environment/locations...