Genral purpose Mac choice

I need a new utility computer.  This computer does email, office stuff, billing, taxes, but also does audio file transfers, upload/download etc..  This is not a computer for a big DAW (but maybe PTLE, Audacity etc), and not for multitrack recording--

not a location machine at all.  So.....  Intel-Mini?  IMac? 

thanks

Philip Perkins

Apple Certified Refurbished Products (up to 33% less) http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=89C9A40E&nclm=SpecialDeals

Thanks--looks good.  I had a refurbed Mac some years ago that really never worked right--it put me off the refurb thing  Anyone had good luck w/ this? 

Philip Perkins

Thanks--looks good.  I had a refurbed Mac some years ago that really never worked right--it put me off the refurb thing  Anyone had good luck w/ this? 

Philip Perkins

I purchased recently a refurbished iBook for my sister-in-law. I set it up for her and it has been working beautifully. So, that's one good experience. My feeling personally, however, is that the savings are not so great with a refurb. if you factor in the stuff bundled with a new machine. Another possibility is to get a new machine purchased near the EOL (end of life) of a specific tried and true model. If you do not need those things that a new model provides, a "new" older model is a good bet. I know that this suggestion, which has been a good suggestion for many in the past, carries with it a little more complexity with the transition to the new models --- models that really are new because of the Intel processors.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

just a thought, but how much of the software ( ie billing and taxes) do you already possess to do the things you want to do? Macs are in mid-cycle of a major cpu changeover to Intel chips which will require new 'Universal' versions of most if not all programs for compatability. Just a heads up if you decide b-stock imacs or ibooks of powerbooks based on the IBM g4 or G5 chip. THey are a great deal right now because the new laptops are coming out. And if the idea of being able to run both windows and MAC OS on the same laptop appeals to you, it is in fact beginning to happen now with the newer Macbooks coming out now. That said, I still have a 6 years+ old powerbook PISMO that, with the addition of a new drive now and then,has been all I'd ever need if I restricted its use to the things you describe.

peter tooke

The utility machine doesn't have to run audio software, than God, just Appleworks, Mail, etc.  I got hosed by buying an EOL machine before a major CPU changeover years ago--it meant that I was behind the current software versions right away. 

This is the reason why my G3 has to go (to the family...)  Maybe a refurb Intel Mini....

Philip Perkins