Bag Power Distribution Recommendations?

redsoundguy

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade the power system I use for my current bag setup but wanted to get some recommendations?  I currently use an Anton Bauer system which is somewhat heavy and I've built it all myself with 4-pin xlr but it was free so its what I got.  

I'd like to update to an NP style system for weight but also I'd like to get some sort of distribution system.  Does anyone on here use the Remote Audio BDS system or do you just make a DIY system yourself?

I use Remote audio bds, the newest version has a built in usb so u can charge your phone! I would buy from one of the" usual suspects" such as Trew Audio which is in Nashville, give them a shout and they can get all the correct cabling! I also use Varizoom NP-1 batteries and 2 gang charger, I purchased thru B&H in NYC, less $ than the IDX system ….JHW

I would like to comment on one thing:

"The RF filtering system of the POWERSTAR MINI, offers up to 34db of RF isolation per output, no other system can make this claim."  

I think the jury is still out on this...  Glen Trew has written extensively about this whole idea of filtered outputs solving "noise" issues when powering multiple devices from a common source. Personally, I have never been able to solve any of the interactive problems with any sort of filtering scheme, so I am more in the camp with Glen Trew - Remote Audio regarding this feature. I would love to hear from people who were having noise issues with one set up (non-filtered outputs) and then had success solving the problem by using filtered output system.

Thanks, Johnny, and certainly ANY distribution system will work well if you're NOT having any of the noise issues caused by multiple devices on the same source. What I am asking is for those who DO have noise issues, have they been able to solve them by using a system that has filtered outputs.

Hi Jeff, I'm just quoting from PSC literature, and from my experience with their products.  I would not want to speak on behalf of Ron Meyer and his company.  Here is a link, to a very contentious, discussion between Glen Trew and Ron Meyer in regards to these products, here on JWSound group.

Thanks, Rich. I hope I didn't imply that you were taking sides, not my intention at all. The Remote Audio products and the PSC products are both great and in wide usage. The link you provided to JWSOUND is exactly what I was talking about. I'm taking sides either, I would just like to get to the truth of the matter if that's even possible. The interactive noise problems we're talking about are very elusive and often solved by mysterious means.

I personally use a remote audio system with the usb tap and Anton Bauer dionics.  so while it is a little heavier there is an added runtime due to the larger capacity.  Also since I am also a camera owner I don't have to maintain two different battery systems.

Like others have said the 4 pin system is bulky and heavy it works for some things but I would not want to carry all that around all the time.

I use a Audioroot distribution box with hirose connectors and voltage display with a NP1 battery. http://www.audioroot.fr/product/vmdbox-hrs/

My impression is that it's a solid light box with a good safety lock on the switch. Reasonably priced (in europe) too.

The more advanced models give you a lot of extra info on battery cycles etc.

But since I already had my NP1s for me personally it wasn't of much use. 

RED: "  Does anyone on here use the Remote Audio BDS system or do you just make a DIY system yourself? "

folks here are constantly discussing their bags, and the bag powering... there are lots of options, and pros and cons for all of them....

although we now have another 25 posts, there is lots of reading available on the site...

1979: " Has anyone tried the Battery distro systems from ambient at all? "

certainly

Well thanks studiomprd for that wonderful and informative response. You obviously dont have any experience with it so really not sure why you responded other just increasing your number of useless posts.

Now anyone who has actually used any of the ambient distro sysyems and has something usefullto say I would like to hear from you.

• 6 months later...

Hi all

I recently bought a power distribution from these guys: http://www.audioroot.fr/product-category/power-distributors/

Very, very cool product. Very well made and the ability to "learn" each of your individual batteries characteristics is fantastic.

I personally like the Hirose 4-pin plugs for use in powering applications, they rarely break, they lock-in to the source and they're reasonably easy to get.

It's the best power distribution option that I've seen/used, thus far...

Rgd's

AT

Well thanks studiomprd for that wonderful and informative response. You obviously dont have any experience with it so really not sure why you responded other just increasing your number of useless posts.

Now anyone who has actually used any of the ambient distro sysyems and has something usefullto say I would like to hear from you.

Glen

Better off ignoring him. He's just looking for attention again, he has a very bad case of relevancy deficiency syndrome. He's beyond all expectations for help.

He's a bit like the lonely, tired old circus clown who only knows one trick... It was a mildly amusing trick early last century, and he never bothered to learn any new tricks as that one trick worked before, it really did! It actually got him some attention for a short while - but a very short while it was indeed.

Now we can only pity him and his pathetic, desperate clutches to be heard just once more... A sad, bitter and mostly irrelevant, tired old clown.