Cinela Piano Users. Which fur?

RadoStefanov

Hey Rado, I've got them all, so thin two tone one, then a medium length black one and a high wind "skunk". I'm surprised people are using only the neoprene without any fur? There can't have been any wind at all. Even with the high wind "skunk" in really really windy conditions, it's not enough, but definately offers more attenuation of wind than rycotes. 

I recently bought the piano. But I get a bit confused here, when you speak of the neoprene, do you mean the thin "fixed" cover on the basket? When I bought it I had the options of short fur, long fur, very long fur and the rain cover. I got it all except for the very long fur:

ysy7usum.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

It's hard to say what the differences are between the normal low wind fur and the high wind fur. I would say there is an audible difference and I would always prefer to use the lighter fur (low wind) as long as it is getting the job done (reducing wind noise). We actually have not used the high wind fur that often and the times that we have it has worked well with minimal penalty, to my ears, in terms of high frequency response. I believe it is well within the range of some gentle EQ to restore any loss of highs with the high wind fur. For me, I still prefer to have both available and would not want to have only the one fur.

It's hard to say what the differences are between the normal low wind fur and the high wind fur. I would say there is an audible difference and I would always prefer to use the lighter fur (low wind) as long as it is getting the job done (reducing wind noise). We actually have not used the high wind fur that often and the times that we have it has worked well with minimal penalty, to my ears, in terms of high frequency response. I believe it is well within the range of some gentle EQ to restore any loss of highs with the high wind fur. For me, I still prefer to have both available and would not want to have only the one fur.

Thanks for the tip Jeff, I will get both as well then.

I have the new fur,  and the old fur,  the new fur I haven't directly compared to the old fur...  I will try do some tests.  the new fur is thicker, not longer...  but they tell me it's more transparent than the old fur.    The new fur is very resistant to light rain which is a bonus,  I can only describe it as wicking water like a greek mans afro,  if you know what i mean. Kind of beads up. 

very resistant to wind, but i'm almost feeling like since it's denser,  i'm 'hearing' the actual material when high gusts hit it,  not that it's letting wind through but it's creating a contact sound...   I will endeavor to post both.  

I have pianissimo and piano,  the pianissimo with CCM41 I have set one setting from the front, and the 'new' greek fur,  and it does quite well in high winds,  but not nearly as well as my CMIT in the piano.

Edited by Prahlad Strickland

I have all 3 furs and the water resistant cover. For most normal situations up to fairly breezy days I use the shorter hair. Lately I've been working with some storm chasers and been in some tornado situations where the winds get crazy heavy to the point I have trouble hanging on to the boom. In these situations I must say the heavy fur stands up very well and I've been able to capture significant bits of sound without the constant rumble I was hearing with my Rycote windjammers. For heavy wind I think Cinela is the only way to go.

The heavy fur works very well in rain too, I have noticed… as a sort of an umbrella to protect the inner structure and microphone itself from water. There appears to be no damage out of water exposure. Dry it out and you are good to go again.

I use my Piano 2S with a CMIT and CCM41, MS pair. I only have the short fur wind jammer, but most of the time the neoprene cover is enough. And the clarity of the system is fantastic. It really does right to the mic's.

With my old rycote system I was used to getting wind in the figure 8 mic faster then the CMIT. I figure because of the proximiy of the 8 capsule to the basket.

With the Piano the figure 8, until now, never caught wind..... knock on wood... Hard wind sometimes is just audible, but only by swooshing past the system/boom, not by hitting the membrane.

This swooshing past the system, does anyone notice a difference between the short and the long fur jammers?

• 1 year later...

I've found the new polyester wind cover  a mixed bag.  A bonus to it though is it repels water really well and does a good job softening the sound of rain.  It stops wind really well, but has a sound in heavier wind. I think it's to dense and not loose enough so it's almost like having a thick foam cover over a SM58,   if you blow into a SM58 windsock it's the sound of the wind hitting it.  

The skunk one is the most efficient I think in heavier winds.