Transferring really old vs. old 1/4" tape

Philip Perkins

Tonight, playing back a roll of Scotch 111 recorded in December 1964 (and maybe played twice since), to copy to digital.  The tape is #59 in a long series of interviews with Dorothea Lange for a doc made about the making of her last show, and was lost from the series since the film was edited in 1965.  It had ended up with a relative, for some reason, and thus was indifferently stored in a box of misc photos etc in an attic somewhere.  The tape played perfectly on my disused Nagra, the sound was clear and full, whoever recorded it (prob Nagra III) used a good mic and good positioning.  I doubt very much that a tape recorded in 1984 and stored similarly would play so well w/o baking etc...

Boy, I had forgotten how noisy 16mm film cameras were.  Sounds like an NPR, or that would be my guess for that time period.

philp

post-17-0-45052600-1390278696_thumb.jpg

Philip: I'm assuming you didn't care about the Neopilot sync signal bleeding into the audio?

Shouldn't have been an issue at all. Transfer using both channels of that IV-S, summed together equally. The pilot will cancel itself out, just like it does on the full track mono play heads of a III or IV.

Used to do it all the time on a Studer 810 as well.

The only caveat is that play head alignment is a bit more critical in this case… but you're going to be tweaking to the original tape anyway. Since you're not disturbing the IV-S's record head, it'll be pretty fast to put the play head back into standard alignment after the job is done. (Assuming it was aligned in the first place.)