Need input for 664 bag

dfisk

I have the measurements for the Zaxcom fader module. I don't have a line drawing, though. I'd really love to see that, or even have a dummy unit. 

We are working a Nomad bag. Not sure if the 664 and Nomad will share the same bag or not, though.

Scott Farr came by the shop today and we chatted for a long while. We learned a lot from him and are going to look at some of his ideas for future products. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pascal's invention for dealing with the CL6 was brilliant. Basically a flap on the belly side of the bag that opens and creates a little secure pocket for the CL6 to sit, doesn't affect the configuration of the wireless at all. Of course, it doesn't allow you to have the CL6 bolted to the 664.

Dave, i think the majority of users are not using a CL6, and to be honest, the 617 bag has taken care of that need.  I feel you probably sell more 664 only bags.  I am a CL6-user when reality calls, but don't carry more than 8 receivers  (which is still ridiculous, and for the most part most of the stuff I do is a multi track panel where Im sitting down.  Plus, with sound devices Un locking the 7-12 channels for use without the CL-6 there will be less CL-6 users.  There is a small market for that on reality shows where uneducated producers want 12 wireless, and where that should be done at a cart.  In fast paced reality if find the CL6 much easier to mix with, but thats another conversation.  

Rob

I don't think I'd want to use my CL6 without it being bolted to the 664 in the prescribed manner--I'd be worried about that ribbon cable.  Maybe if there was a way to extend that cable (accessory idea for SD there) then a 2-pocket bag would work, but in any case I (and many others) have the "+" config covered other ways, and are looking for the smallest package for the 664 alone that can be made.  I too would not like it to have "outrigger" pockets that would make the rig wider.  

philp

I'm in the minority here, but I would love the bag to fit 664 + cl-6.  Since I have the 633 now, i have no need to take off the CL-6.  I don't feel that 617 is a good bag...at all, its a floppy mess, that has just enough room, D rings, pockets, etc, to make it super annoying.  However Pascals bag looks very nice. The header cable is a concern.  I am sure there is a solution to be found, and maybe from Pascals last message he has already found the solution.  

I have used my CL6 with my 664 with it not attached to it. If it is velcroed correctly and a little care is used, there is no problem.

Use mine without CL-6 a lot, as well.

Would be veeeey interested in a bag that was a home to 664 only...

Would that be tapping into a niche market, as Petrol seems to have bags that fit a 664 with a CL-6?

Man, if you've designed a bag that stands up, has east access to media, AND fits only a 664, you'll have cornered the market!

R

And then K-Tek coming with a bag without the CL-6 option and the users said: "Doesn't have enough space to place the receivers front of the mixer".

Read, search and design carefully the new bag K-Tek.

HA! That's always what happens to us manufacturers. You can't please everyone, but we try our best. 

Just to add my own input...

I'm another user not using, or planning to use, a CL6. In my opinion, the current petrol bag would work well for anyone using a CL6 and stuffing it with 8-12 wireless (although I wouldn't like to have this as a bag setup myself). Right now, I find the Petrol bag pretty awkward as it seems to exaggerate what is already a pretty big mixer by adding to its size, and especially it's width.

What I (and I suspect many others also) would be keen to see is a bag more suited to a 664 and 6 wireless that's a lot more comfortable to wear and includes the well thought out layout of the Stingray bag.

Chalk another in the "doesn't have a CL6" column. I can't see myself buying one either, just for the dedicated transport buttons and pretty led meters. 

I use low-profile XLRs on the inputs courtesy of Mr Toline, and plan to get some more for the output section. I don't really need to mess with the input side much once it is built, other than to route my headphone connector. If there was a low-profile zipper flap that could offer a cable hole for the boom cable and the headphones (I use boom on channel 6) then that would be all the left side would see from me.

Something other than the giant elephant ears on the Porta-Brace MXC664/CL6 (that I have currently) for the outside edges please.

You have already mentioned the other things that I would want - access to the cards, standing up, cables internally, etc. 

I built my 664 together (briefly) with all the receivers and the power all gaffed together into one unit outside the Porta-Brace bag, that was the only way that I could use the non-structured MXC bag. The very next day, I had a 2-track day and needed the wireless for something else. Obviously keeping it all stuck together didn't work. Having the ability to swap RX or transmitters in and out relatively easily (yet they don't slide out on their own in the fire of production) would also be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually held up my purchase of a 664 because a bag without the space for a Cl-6 was not available. What I have customized that carries a 664, 6 wireless, power pocket and cable harness works for now. It appears obvious from the posts there will be a suitable market for a smart 664 non-CL-6 bag that can handle  jobs on the run. Count me in.