Need input for 664 bag

dfisk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking a modular bag would be great. One where you could zipper / strap / Velcro sections on and off. If you need to run 12 wireless one day, but the next day is run and gun for 12 hours wiith two wires and a boom - would be nice to lose as much weight as possible for that and not have a half empty bag flopping about. A CL-6 removable section would be great as well... Or like on some suitcases, where you have a zipper that goes around and when opened, the bag "accordions" out for a little extra space.

Different sections could be sold as add-ons...?

Meanwhile--it seems like no one except maybe Kortwich is making a bag for the 664 by itself, with 4-6 chan of wireless etc now--they are all for the 664+CL6 and etc.  Is that what you have in mind?  Something that will "hang" correctly and has good access to the cards, cushions the COMM connectors @ the rear, has good connector access and will stand up by itself.

philp

Those are the goals, but the issue with the CL6 not being there...that's a tough one. Our current prototype has a removable insert to help, but the overall size of the bag won't change because of science. Making it adjustable and yet stable and have the ability to stand up would be pretty costly. 

Access to the cards..that's easy. We've already gotten that taken care of. Standing up. Already done. 

If you want a bag for the 664 without the CL6, then that's a separate product. I would imagine the reason you don't see that is because manufacturers would need to make two different 664 bags, effectively almost doubling the cost of making the bags. Seems counter intuitive, but we've already looked into this. If I make just one bag that works with our without the CL6, I only have to do one run of bags and only have to have one bag designed. If I make two different bags, that means I have to pay for lower quantities of each bag and have to pay for two designs, and so and and so forth. How many people use the 664 without the CL6? If I'm going to sell several hundred, then it's worth making a separate bag. If isn't only a handful of people...I don't think it is likely to make two different bags. 

+1 - cl6

I dont see myself getting a cl6. I want a bag that is stiff and roomy enough but does not stick out too far.

All the ideas that Perkins had are great. As wide as this mixer is, i don't think having the flaps that the 617 have were a very good idea. The output side of the mixer is extremely difficult to access with those flaps... The input side isn't so bad because things don't change much. Plus the use of low profile xlrs make it possible for a more narrow profile.

I cannot see me having a CL6 .

My thought is that with the new software enabling 12 channel mixing with the existing hardware, I would require the CL6 only if I were to be using more than 6 channels on a regular basis.

I would think that this would generally be a rare occurrence for a bag mixer.

More likely in a cart situation, negating the need for the bag.

And let's face it...the CL6 brigade are already catered for by the existing bag!

I'll sell mine cheap when yours is released!

I cannot see me having a CL6 .

My thought is that with the new software enabling 12 channel mixing with the existing hardware, I would require the CL6 only if I were to be using more than 6 channels on a regular basis.

I would think that this would generally be a rare occurrence for a bag mixer.

More likely in a cart situation, negating the need for the bag.

And let's face it...the CL6 brigade are already catered for by the existing bag!

I'll sell mine cheap when yours is released!

+1

No CL6 for me either

I'm an old guy, so no wearing my 664 with a CL6 and enough wireless to justify the add'l inputs.  But the 664 by itself--6 faders easy to work and with just a few wireless, I could see wearing that.  But I'm not going to go for a bag that has a lot of extra space in it to accomodate the full +CL6 setup and all that entails.  Way too unnecessarily deep, and as was said, there are already many other ways to accomodate that rig (I use a PB AO type bag for that).  I looked at the PB bag that's for both 664+CL6, and wondered if I could make it work without the front pouch--putting the RX in where the CL6 was supposed to go, but that didn't seem like a great solution either.  I guess the answer might be having to do what Pascal VS did, and have Kortwich make something to order ($$$).

philp

Man. I'm glad I asked for input. I figured most people were using the CL6. I definitely understand not wanting unnecessary space in the bag. 

Time to sit down with the design team!

Keep it coming, folks. We really like getting this input this early in the game. I have the first prototype, but I could tell right away it needs drastic changes even without all this input from you. 

I don't, and probably never will, use a CL6. The space for the CL6 in the Petrol 617 is useful for me though, as it also fits 4 x 411A, so a dual use is possible. I'm interested to see the bag for the 664, the Stingray just doesn't work for me, it is too big for such a small mixer, don't make the same mistake with this one, a huge bag will make the whole thing unworkable.

Did I see correctly that Pascal paid upwards of $900 for his Kortwich bag?? Thats pretty ridiculous! HOWEVER...the waist harness that was built for his bag and what I've seen them do is extremely interesting to me..Being able to relieve some of the stress on my shoulders would be awesome..regardless of what bag I use.

I don't, and probably never will, use a CL6. The space for the CL6 in the Petrol 617 is useful for me though, as it also fits 4 x 411A, so a dual use is possible. I'm interested to see the bag for the 664, the Stingray just doesn't work for me, it is too big for such a small mixer, don't make the same mistake with this one, a huge bag will make the whole thing unworkable.

John, have you used a Stingray yet? 

As I said in the UK facebook page, the 633 is small, but and incredibly capable machine. In order to facilitate the needs of customers, the bag needs space to do that. In all honesty, the actual volume of the Stingray compared to another bag that holds everything on the outside is quite similar. It just looks big because everything is INSIDE the bag, not hanging off of it. 

We could have made made something really small and have stuff hang on it, but then it wouldn't do all the things people want, like stand up on its own, be able to have dedicated spots for all the wireless, NP-1, and other stuff, and be able to be completely enclosed. It can't be both ways and be practical. We didn't want to make something that is just a copy of what other people are making. If people want just a pouch to put their 633 in, then somebody else already makes that. We are trying to solve problems, and the response from just about everyone that has seen it and used it have been overwhelmingly positive. We realize that we can't please everyone, but I ask that when people give suggestions they think about what is practical and realistic.