Captain Phillips

dfisk

If you haven't seen it, it's out on DVD now. Just finished watching it. Incredible movie. Just stunning. Incredible sound work all around. Had to have been a tough shoot. 

My question is this:

Where did the actors that played the 4 main Somali pirates come from? It looks like this was the first acting gig for the main pirate. He was absolutely amazing. I asked my wife "did they get real Somali pirates for this?" It was that believable. 

Anyway...I loved this movie. Probably one of the best I've seen in a while. It was incredibly suspenseful and I even knew exactly how it was going to end. 

I was not crazy about it...  it did nothing for me...  OK, but not too much on the bone... I would say an OK movie at best...  And on that note... Gravity...   I have heard "best picture" float around... Really?  Have we sunk so low....  compared to great films of the past, this was a mere fart... Some nice photography... sound was good... story?.. Jeeeez...

If you look around www land, you should find a CBS SUNDAY MORNING piece on the fellows who played the pirates.  There is a substantial Somalian community in Minneapolis, and it was from a small acting school/theatre group that the actors came from.  The head pirate even improvised some lines and they made the edit.  Hanks was quoted as saying he was scared as hell when they shot the scene...way too realistic for him.  The director purposely did not let Hanks the pirates meet before the bridge takeover scene.  

cleve

And on that note... Gravity...   I have heard "best picture" float around... Really?  Have we sunk so low....  compared to great films of the past, this was a mere fart... Some nice photography... sound was good... story?.. Jeeeez...

The reason why I think Gravity is one of the three strongest contenders for the best picture category (the other two being 12 Years a Slave, and American Hustle) is because it is a feat in Hollywood filmmaking all around. It has all the ingredients that the Academy enjoys voting for, and it is one of those movies that will be remembered because of its cinematography, vfx, sound, direction, etc...

That said, I do agree that there are better movies, that the story was not as strong as it could've been, etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

"Gravity" was a great theatre movie, and let's face it, we should be making movies to be enjoyed in a movie theatre. There are lots of movies with weak or simple stories that make for a fabulously enjoyable moving-going experience. Watch them on a TV, and there's just nothing there. "Gravity" is one of those. But I feel it is deserving of its accolades and success, because it is a tremendous feat of movie making, as is "Captain Phillips".

Not many movies excel in story, storytelling and movie-making.

"Gravity" was a great theatre movie, and let's face it, we should be making movies to be enjoyed in a movie theatre. There are lots of movies with weak or simple stories that make for a fabulously enjoyable moving-going experience. Watch them on a TV, and there's just nothing there. "Gravity" is one of those. But I feel it is deserving of its accolades and success, because it is a tremendous feat of movie making, as is "Captain Phillips".

Exactly. Seriously, you just took my exact thoughts and placed them into writing. Haha, thanks.

As you smartly claim, Gravity is one of those movies that can only be fully enjoyed in the theatre (due to its amazing feats in all the categories mentioned), and that is a big reason why the everyone (and especially the Academy), is recognizing this film.

+1 

My vote is for the theatre-going experience that "Gravity" gave me.  Few films can keep me engaged the way this one did -- sweaty palms, and all (there are other things that have that effect, but that's not what this thread is about <g>).  I saw it in I-Max 3D and, while I'm not a huge 3D fan in general -- this is one film that should be seen that way.

The reason why I think Gravity is one of the three strongest contenders for the best picture category (the other two being 12 Years a Slave, and American Hustle) is because it is a feat in Hollywood filmmaking all around. It has all the ingredients that the Academy enjoys voting for, and it is one of those movies that will be remembered because of its cinematography, vfx, sound, direction, etc...

That said, I do agree that there are better movies, that the story was not as strong as it could've been, etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Don't even get me started on "American Hustle"..... It was unwatchable to me...

I saw it in I-Max 3D and, while I'm not a huge 3D fan in general -- this is one film that should be seen that way.

Ditto. Funny thing, when the whole "IMAX 3D Experience" sequence was going on before the the movie started, my eyes and head started to hurt, I thought to myself: "shit, I'm not going to be able to watch this movie if this is what I'm going to be getting." But then when the actual movie started, it was all better, and actually thought it was mesmerizing. Like you, I think it should definitely be watched in IMAX 3D (in a big screen, with the best sound system possible) to fully enjoy the experience. A living room will not do it justice.

Don't even get me started on "American Hustle"..... It was unwatchable to me...

I didn't mind American Hustle at all. I didn't think it was as amazing (or the best movie of the year) as everyone ranted, but I did enjoy it. There were things that were strong in it for me: e.g. Amy Adams' and even Christian Bales' performances were outstanding to me. There was something very charming about it all. That aside, I had issue with the general story, and how it was told.

The thing is, though, this is a type of film the Academy goes nuts over, which is why I think it is a very strong contender for best picture, as well as why it got nominated in 10 different categories.

I liked "Her", "Enough Said", "Frances Ha" and "American Hustle." But there are a few I still need to see ("12 years...", "All is Lost" and "Captain Phillips" among them). I didn't care much for "Gravity" - felt like an expository first person video game for the first 20 minutes and I would not have minded had they cut half of the monologues.

I really enjoyed "All is lost". Snubbed by the Oscars.

Honestly, one of my favorite films of the year, and, from Mr. Redford, I thought one of the best performances as well. I was upset he did not get nominated.

I liked "Her", "Enough Said", "Frances Ha" and "American Hustle." But there are a few I still need to see ("12 years...", "All is Lost" and "Captain Phillips" among them).

All fantastic movies.

That was the only scene that I thought was any good, although he had some bursts of what I would call "overacting"

The rest of the movie bored me.

The actors playing the pirates were infinitely better.

Just saw Captain Phillips last night on rental, Loved it The acting was incredible, Tom Hanks is master of his craft , the scene at the very end ( which I won't spoil ) was brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...