Mix pre D - battery corroision

Rick Hunter

Rick,

I would recommend contacting the Sound Devices Support Team at support@sounddevices.com and arranging for a return authorization for inspection and possible repair. If the batteries are corroded to the point that the cap is sealed shut, it's probably worth it to have one of our tech evaluate the rest of the unit for damage that could be caused by acid leaking into the unit itself.

Jesse Parker

Take a small hammer and tap around the circumference of the metal plug then wrap the vice grips with something soft and get it as tight as you can, then hit the vice grips with a hammer. Then your trouble really begins as the batteries expand and lock inside the tube, take a small drill and drill a pilot hole through the center of the battery, then use a bit 2/3 the size of the battery drill out what you can, then drive a screwdriver down the side of the battery, this will collapse the battery so you can get it out. Better idea send it back to Sound Devices.;-)

Doh, I learned my lesson in never leaving batteries in compartments for more than a few weeks. There's some disastrous results with battery chemicals, overheating, and cells becoming swollen and misshapen, getting them stuck in the compartments.

I remember back in the 1980s, I think it was Eveready who used to promise that their batteries were so reliable, they would unquestionably replace any device that was damaged if the batteries malfunctioned. I wondered at the time what they would do if somebody sent them a Nagra 4S that got all damaged with batteries stored inside for a few years, left out in the sun...  

Doh, I learned my lesson in never leaving batteries in compartments for more than a few weeks. There's some disastrous results with battery chemicals, overheating, and cells becoming swollen and misshapen, getting them stuck in the compartments.

I remember back in the 1980s, I think it was Eveready who used to promise that their batteries were so reliable, they would unquestionably replace any device that was damaged if the batteries malfunctioned. I wondered at the time what they would do if somebody sent them a Nagra 4S that got all damaged with batteries stored inside for a few years, left out in the sun...  

Assuming the Nagra was left with the top facing up, battery leakage would likely accumulate on the inside of the battery compartment cover, and leak out the gap around it.  A IV-S I recently bought had some old corrosion marks on the inside of the battery cover, and on one edge on the outside, but the inner battery compartment plastic was pristine.  I like this practical passive design in the Nagra battery compartment and assume that other battery-operated recorder manufacturers designed their battery compartment in a similar way, to allow leakage to flow away from critical inner components?  Mind you, if the Nagra was left sideways in a bag, then maybe some leakage could find its way to the inside where it could do serious damage...