Password Managers

S Harber

After all the security issues that have been dancing around the news of late I started to look into software that manages passwords.

There's just no real way for me to remember passwords that are truly secure and varied so I wanted to see what folks were using. I'd love to have an integration of the many computers, tablets and phones that we all use and to see if there's a fairly seamless yet secure piece of software out there.

1 Password looks good according to CNET but I thought I'd see if anyone here was using something that they liked.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac

Thanks,

Scott

I have used 1 Password for over a year.... A LIFESAVER... LOVE IT!!! 

Two thumbs up....  Worth every penny....  Can not recommend it enough....  Are there others, who knows... but I have never had to look..

A LIFESAVER  ...That's your password?  Now to remote your computer and the world will be MINE!

I use the free 'Password Safe' for a vault. I keep user names, passwords and other private text info there.

It can generate passwords with user defined password policy.  Info and are stored securely on an encrypted local database.. There is also a PasswordSafe2Go disk-on-key version, where there is no need to install it directly on any any computer.

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net d

• 4 months later...

I always worry that password managers could themselves be passing on my passwords to their company. Instead, now I write the password down, take a picture of it and then store that in a picture safe. It feels safer, although it may not be.

My browser recently decided to wipe all cookies, so half my auto-remembered passwords went away, and I had to go through password recovery too many times. 

I purchased lastpass and have been happy with it so far.   They claim that the passwords are encrypted with a user-unique hash before being saved on their servers (because it can then sync the passwords between all your computers).

However, another popular password manager company recently released a list of "most common passwords" .

How could they have done that if they didn't have access to the unencrypted text on their server.  

I recently got one of the new Mac Pros (aka "Darth Vader's Trash Can"), and much to my shock and horror, the damned thing came preconfigured to automatically update the OS without telling me. 

I went through about 24 hours of sheer hell -- and no sleep -- using a backup to take the whole computer back to where it was a few days ago. The good news is: because I'm a faithful iCloud user, all of my passwords, favorite websites, and all that crap were all carefully stored in the cloud, and everything came back just fine. 

This yet another case where I love the Mac, but hate Apple. And I'd agree with Courtney that I'll be in real trouble once the terrorists get hold of iCloud and make it rain.

Last pass was ok, but the flexibility of 1password working on all my devices and saving all my software license info is fantastic. Haven't used last pass die a couple years now. Maybe it's better now, but 1password has made my online life soooooo easy. Love it. And good support.

Sandor - Vancouver sound guy