ALP 620 mounting nuts/bolts

Joshua Anderson

Hi all,

I left set yesterday without measuring the nuts and bolts that secure the mounting block on the bottom of my ALP 620 Antennas. Some have fallen out and I was hoping to go to the hardware store today to look for replacements. I'm hoping someone here might know the size off hand.

Thanks!

Josh

Thanks Ben!

I think you're right. Greg Sextro PM'd me yesterday and we tried figuring it out at the hardware store, settling on 6-32 bolts as well. Trying them tomorrow. Out of the 12 screws on my 3 shark fins, I might need to use almost all of the 10 pack I bought. I'm not really sure how the antennas are still holding together, but I'm glad I happened to look up at them the other day.

Josh

• 7 months later...

I'm doing a little custom project for someone using the ALP 620. Are these screws pictured below the ones you're saying are 6-32? I'm in desperate need of nuts for the ones in the picture and Home Depot can't give me any info on them. Sadly, I know nothing about screw dimensions or nomenclature. Any help would be great. Thanks!

787b8d646fd9b0906803f3914fe69f39.jpg

It's a #6-32 x 5/8" stainless steel pan head phillips machine screw.  The mating nut used is a #6-32 keepnut (integrated lockwasher).  It can be fastened with a nut and separate lockwasher as well.  Home Depot should have this as it is a fairly common size.

Robert Graham

Mechanical Engineer, Lectrosonics, Inc.

Hi all,

I left set yesterday without measuring the nuts and bolts that secure the mounting block on the bottom of my ALP 620 Antennas. Some have fallen out and I was hoping to go to the hardware store today to look for replacements. I'm hoping someone here might know the size off hand.

Thanks!

Josh

Hi Josh,

Did they work loose on their own? I'm curious if the integrated lock washer is not "good" enough. They need to be removable if you want to change the orientation but they shouldn't remove themselves.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I would have thought so, but when I was looking for a nut for some BDS stuff all the mom and pop shops told me to try home depot. No one had it, and neither did HD.

If we lived in the same city I would bet you lunch that I could walk into a local hardware store and find the nuts and bolts needed in your photo above-- in stainless steel even.

I'm a frequent visitor of the nut & bolt isles of both major chains and well-stocked mom and pops for all manner and variety of fabrications.

Unless it's for a unique specialty item, I'll bet you can find a better stocked local alternative.

Sorry to respond so late - been on a TV show with night shoots, and my wife gave birth to our first kid six weeks ago. So, I haven't been as up to date on the forum or sleep lately. Glad you got your answer, BAB.

Larry, they are removing themselves. But I bought my antennas in 2008 and they're going on their 6th season of episodic work. Except for walkaways, I take the antennas off their masts each night (or morning on this job). I then strap them under a bungee on the cart. Yes, the nuts are working themselves out (usually, the screw stays in place and I find a wandering nut on my cart), but it's been a lot of wear by the user, too. I'm not going to change my antenna orientation, so I might just put lock tight in. If I get around to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry to respond so late - been on a TV show about superheroes who like to fight at night, so...night shoots, and my wife gave birth to our first kid six weeks ago. So, I haven't been as up to date on the forum or sleep lately. Glad you got your answer, BAB.

Larry, they are removing themselves. But I bought my antennas in 2008 and they're going on their 6th season of episodic work. Except for walkaways, I take the antennas off their masts each night (or morning on this job). I then strap them under a bungee on the cart. Yes, the nuts are working themselves out (usually, the screw stays in place and I find a wandering nut on my cart), but it's been a lot of wear by the user, too. I'm not going to change my antenna orientation, so I might just put lock tight in. If I get around to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into nylock inserts for those nuts. They should not work loose on their own, 6 years or not. Send me an email at larryf@lectrosonics.com  with a mailing address and I'll send you 9. One for the nut that hides itself.

Best Regards,

Larry F

p.s. congratulations!