Recording fireworks during Lunar New Year!

hiro nakamura

Hi guys,

Need your valuable advise on what mics or any do's and don'ts on recording fireworks.

I have a job coming up.

It's a documentary about Lunar New Year in China.

In the New Year eve, there would be massive fireworks. Presenter might want to have conversation with locals while they are playing fireworks.

My microphones are clearly not for this situation.

Sanken Cs3e

and Oktava 012 with -10 pad

Backup mic: Rode NTG3

My concern is because I have never record fireworks using shotgun mic, I think it might break the microphone because it's gonna be too much overload for shotguns.

Should I grab a Shure SM57 for the fireworks?

My plan is to use Oktava012 with -10pad for the talks ( I have all the wind protections from rycote)

Save the CS3e in the bag

Oh by the way, I have TRX900LA with Sanken Cos 11d on the presenter.

Any suggestion and advices

Thanks in advance

Hiro

If you set yourself with enough distance from the fireworks, and you set your levels properly, there should be no reason for overload.

If your goal is to get as best intelligible sound from the presenter as possible, I would just use the CS3e. If you want to get a good balance between the presenter and the fireworks, personally, I would go for an M/S set-up. You could use the CS3e as your Mid, focused on the presenter, and set-up the Oktava with a figure 8 capsule for your Side mic, for the ambience / fireworks, then you can mix for a good balance. At the worst case scenario, post (or you) can just scrap the side mic in the final mix if it doesn't work and still keep the mid mic.