Someone finally did it...

curleysound

Uhmmm...."I Love Dolby"??? I get the reference, but really? Dolby? for a Boom Op? How about "I Love Schoeps"

And to quote Seinfeld..."not that there's anything wrong with it", but how Gay did that guy seem? I though I was watching a Village People "Where are they Now" segment.  Unless that is how you guys dress in Cali nowadays?

I think it's ridiculous to make the the Boom like it's some phallic extension of himself. A bit disappointing in my opinion, could've been done with a bit more taste. Clearly done with no "real" Sound Person on set.

The "Boom Operator" in that piece cannot ever have been a boom operator --- there isn't one instance showing proper booming. A nice little movie could have been made with a real boom operating doing the things they really do (which is not dancing around with their big stick hanging out).

-  JW

The "Boom Operator" in that piece cannot ever have been a boom operator --- there isn't one instance showing proper booming. A nice little movie could have been made with a real boom operating doing the things they really do (which is not dancing around with their big stick hanging out).

-  JW

I agree. The boom operator is doing everything wrong.  You would never sing on mic with a working pair of headphones with one of the earpieces (not on your head) facing and within inches of the end of a directional mic.   Great recipe for feedback.

He never points the mic where it should be pointed and using the pole as some sort of martial arts weapon is not advised.  The video is good to show everything a boom operator should never do.  It's only funny at a 3rd grader level. 

----Courteny

I didn't see it , and after reading the comments I don't think I want to being a boom opr. myself. Hey Tom call me.

Speaking for myself (and in this case probably most people here)...

We're not knocking boom operators.  Quite the contrary, we're knocking people who have a total lack of understanding of -- and lack of respect for -- the critical role a good boom op plays in capturing quality sound.

JB