Panasonic GH4

very interesting. as a gh3 owner this looks really cool. i've been following the rumor sites the past couple of weeks on this. looks like the body is around $2,000 and the add on base is another $2000'sh. i'd imagine majority of users will not go for said base. for me and what i need a camera for, probably not. i just shoot for my own little projects and that add on wouldn't be needed. but i do hope that some of the rental companies like lens rentals and such will stock those. occasionally i'll get my camera rented on gigs i'm on, and having the add on option of sdi, timecode and xlr's is nice.

That audio/grip is pretty big & awkward. Will be interesting to see & hear some in-the-wild video & audio from the camera. And will be interesting to see if Panasonic brings out a more video-friendly version of the camera around NAB time. Sort of like the AF100 without that camera's drawbacks.

post-286-0-26398700-1391788232_thumb.jpg

That's a silly looking rig for a handheld doco cam, which is exactly how people will use it.  

These kinds of add-ons are not at all a panacea for bad audio on DSLRs.  I just finished post on a doco feature shot with a similar device on a 7D, and they still managed to make the sound wretchedly unusable for at least 40% of the footage.

philp

That's a silly looking rig for a handheld doco cam, which is exactly how people will use it.  

These kinds of add-ons are not at all a panacea for bad audio on DSLRs.  I just finished post on a doco feature shot with a similar device on a 7D, and they still managed to make the sound wretchedly unusable for at least 40% of the footage.

I'm trying to be an optimist but not a pollyanna. If G4 buyers see that Panasonic suggests an add-on to get good audio, perhaps at least a couple G4 buyers will think, "maybe the basic camera's audio isn't good enough." And then maybe a few more will be interested in double-system sound.

Like when producers find that the "backup" tracks I've recorded sound better than the tracks I sent to the camera. On the other hand, there's last week's gig where the scratch tracks I sent to a RED EPIC will probably be used in the final mix. Can't win them all…still trying to win a few...

But I still wonder about the GH4. The 4K appears to be some variant on Quad AVCHD (24Mbps x 4 = pert near 100Mbps). The 200Mbps I-frame 1080p might be nice. But I'm not seeing tons of dynamic range (that could be web delivery or something else, of course). And as others say, what's really going on in that MaxiGrip?

If the GH4 pix look good, I could see using a GH4 as a b-cam for an AF400 (ie- the "real video camera" version of the imager & processor, sort of like the half-baked AF100 should have been for the GH2). OK, maybe I am a pollyanna. And I'm wandering off topic for jws.

Jim

• 1 month later...

FWIW, the SDI can also act as multiple HD outs based on menu settings. It does seem that A to D of audio occurs in add on box...so might have better components than cam in...i.e. not just coupler to cam analog in. Considering the cost relative to the cam..would hope so.

• 3 weeks later...

I have pre-ordered several GH4s (without YAGH add-ons). If anyone from jwsound wants to play with them when they arrive, give me a shout. This site is a goldmine of information for me (not primarily an audio guy, just a normal filmmaker) so I'd love to pay it back a bit.

I took one look at the YAGH and thought "hmm... I'd rather put that $2K towards something from Sound Devices or Zaxcom..."

Maybe Sound Devices will announce a 4K HDMI recorder that works with it (Atomos already have - and they have 2 channels of XLR with pre-amps, plus 8 channels of digital, presumably from the HD-SDI option - http://www.atomos.com/shogun/)

My other thought was instead of the YAGH, get a Zaxcom QRX200 wireless receiver and plug that in to the GH4's minijack audio input. Monitor that feed via headphones plugged into the GH4. Send audio to it from TRX742 and / or TRXLA2 / TRXLT2, recording backup to SD card. Most of the time the audio feed from the QRX200 should be good... but in case of emergency or if you want better quality, go to the SD card backups and sync via Pluraleyes.

Is that an utterly crazy idea? Otherwise, could run around with my 702T... but somehow the light weight setup of the GH4 kinda inspired me.

Bruce Allen

www.boacinema.com

I too am considering a GH4 as I love the GH2 I use and want one of my own.

Nothing wrong with any of your ideas Bruce, but I'd add you would be better off developing a partnership/relationship with a sound person as the 2 jobs are quite different and as they say, "2 heads are better than one".

CrewC

• 4 weeks later...

Any of you m43 users have any experience with the Tokina 11-16?  I was wondering if I purchased a Canon EF mount version and used a Chinese "focal reducer" speed booster type of adapter, if the Tokina would vignette on a m43 sensor?  It is designed to cover APS-C and actually covers FF at the tele end...

I've seen the 11-16 on some AF-100s.  Does a decent job.  A couple of ops I work with love it. 

If you put it on a Meta Bones or something like that won't it be nearly fish eye though?  11 is pretty wide on 4/3 already, wouldn't the adapter make it nearly an 8 on the system?