Aaton Cantar X3 Launch

Bash

The line IPs do have very accessible trim controls - as do Cantar X1/X2. Interesting all the comments on layout as if it is totally new: It is in fact a development of what Cantar users have been using for over 10 years - but it was radical when it appeared 11 years ago. 

Tim

I inferred "eliminate cumbersome trims" to mean there wouldn't be any.

One of the descriptions for the cantar was as follows:

from http://test.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/

Unsurpassed mic preamps

The fame of the Cantar Sound is based on Aatons expertise with audio signal processing. First, the five mic inputs are equipped with the highest quality impedance transformers.

Second, Aaton developed huge dynamic range three stage proprietary preamplifiers to eliminate cumbersome trims.

Third, the powerful and smooth analog limiters achieve an impossible task: they are almost transparent to background sounds.

I personally think that a Dsub connector is a great idea and have been asking for it. The weight of the combined additional connectors ( chassis and cable mount ) is not small. A Dsub permits you to either wire directly your kit and retain access for occasional repatch with another cable/adapter. I know that in my case, my kit stays wired for months on end with no repatch. Access to two Xlr and the rest on a Dsub would cover at least 80% if not more of my work.

I'd say the new config' of those XLRs will be easier to deal with in a bag; pulling from the sides instead of from under. I guess it's personal.

As for pvanstry suggestion, I'd totally back that. Without it , as an example, the Sonosax mini82 wouldn't be ''mini'' and *indeed*, when our bags are set, rarely will things change Inside these bags, at least for a given gig.

In fact, for the enjoyment of everybody, a swappable modular plate à la Lectro SR series would be nice; one plate with the D-Sub or, to your taste, the other plate with XLRs (or even TAs, why not; people coming from 788s could deal with that I'm sure).

Having a minimal-sized core for the unit, to make it so the ultimate size of your unit of choice would be determined by the connectors would be icing on the cake: people working on carts could go with the more stanrdardized, larger XLRs and keep on using their usual cables while maybe a new crop of bag users would gladly go with the D-Sub, smaller form factor unit. All of this without fear of making the wrong choice from the start since you could always swap it back to the other connector-type plate...

Just an idea... discuss... punch me... have fun

Eager to see the final unit too. And happy to see Aaton on its feet, still kicking !

I'd say the new config' of those XLRs will be easier to deal with in a bag; pulling from the sides instead of from under. I guess it's personal.

As for pvanstry suggestion, I'd totally back that. Without it , as an example, the Sonosax mini82 wouldn't be ''mini'' and *indeed*, when our bags are set, rarely will things change Inside these bags, at least for a given gig.

In fact, for the enjoyment of everybody, a swappable modular plate à la Lectro SR series would be nice; one plate with the D-Sub or, to your taste, the other plate with XLRs (or even TAs, why not; people coming from 788s could deal with that I'm sure).

Having a minimal-sized core for the unit, to make it so the ultimate size of your unit of choice would be determined by the connectors would be icing on the cake: people working on carts could go with the more stanrdardized, larger XLRs and keep on using their usual cables while maybe a new crop of bag users would gladly go with the D-Sub, smaller form factor unit. All of this without fear of making the wrong choice from the start since you could always swap it back to the other connector-type plate...

Just an idea... discuss... punch me... have fun

Eager to see the final unit too. And happy to see Aaton on its feet, still kicking !

I like the idea of a D sub connector.

I like the idea of swappable modular plate.

I liked the mini r82.

With Transvideo being involved there may be some exciting wireless and display possibilities?

dan. 

Exactly Constantin. That's why it's better be used when you know your bag configuration won't change much. For example, on a gig where you'd need 4-6 lavs and a boom. Having sliders on that type of show would be terrific.

In the case I'd need only 2-3 inputs, I'd probably leave the Cantar in the case and use a 633 kit anyway.

With Cantar on a cart, I'd probably go with the XLRs.

• 3 weeks later...

If you look close on the right side it looks like there's a 2.4GHz type stubby antenna sticking out. I wonder what that's for.

All the buttons look like LEDs as well.

Love the almost Giger-esque industrial design but I'm still having a hard time imagining using it in a bag, though I know many have done just that with the X1 and x2.

I thought the same about the buttons: eager to see it in the dark, I think it's gonna be quite nice and easy things up.
Eager to see the applications with Dante too, since I can see a connection just aside that foldable antenna; maybe there for sending sound-reports and even mp3 files ? Maybe a partnership with Ambient for ACN ?

... and no one is discussing the new Nagra 7, demos units are at dealers...

...it's probably because it's a topic about the Cantar X3... :Op

So for bag work, you'd have to have the whole top uncovered back to where the connectors are, right, to get at all the sliders and knobs? And as you looked down at it in a bag while worn you'd be seeing the screen and transport knob, but not the knobs and faders so well?

philp

Something like that.

(the bigger the belly, the lesser you see your sliders) (unless you can put your rig ''on top'' of it...)

I personally think that a Dsub connector is a great idea and have been asking for it. The weight of the combined additional connectors ( chassis and cable mount ) is not small.

+1 -

Zaxcom introduced the Dsub to our world (rugged field recording) with the DEVA 2 - it got mixed reviews back then, but I really have liked them all along ---  a manufacturer can get a lot done with those 25 Pins!

MF