invoice forms

Brian Maier

I use a product called BillQuick.  It helps me keep track of outstanding bills, expenses, etc.  I have it set up with both an hourly rate, a day rate, overtime, etc.  And, I have standard expenses set up (batteries, DVD's, etc.)  It works pretty well.  They have a free version you can download and use, and if you push them you can purchase the full version for like $95.  (But note, as far as I know, it is a Windows only product.)

Phil

I use QuickBooks Pro for the Mac also but abandoned it when Intuit abandoned the Mac platform several years ago. I then used MYOB for years (and I still do use it in one of my other businesses). I am back using QuickBooks and it works fine for me. There is a really good program, purpose built for entertainment industry crew people called PAID! It has been developed as a FileMaker Pro application (so it could be cross platform but I don't know). It is not specifically an accounting program (an accounting program will still be needed for taxes and other stuff) but it is a program which is designed to assist in keeping track of jobs, companies, equipment rental, expendables sold, etc.

Take a look (I think there may be a free demo):  http://www.minutiaesoftware.com/paid.htm

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I don't know about PAID.  It seems like a very user friendly program and I'm sure it has its utility, but for that price you can buy Quickbooks, the basic edition.  I would personally think a bookkeeping program like Quickbooks would be more practical for self employed professionals.  You can also find a simple sales invoice template on MS Excel, if you are desperate. 

Barcoding can be incredibly expensive, time consuming (programming and training) and complex to use especially interfacing it with any type of accounting software (eg Mas90/200).  I would really do a cost/benefit analysis.

Oh by the way, Happy Birthday Mr. Wexler.  I am enjoying your forum.

Joe

I use a simple product calles bluebox invoices   

http://www.blueboxsw.com/0301.html

It costs $29.95 and is based on file maker pro

the creator Jay Kellet has been very helpful anytime I have had an issue, usually operator error

Jay also got me using the OSX printing pdf choice to e-mail my invoices

I recommend it

al mcguire

jacksonville fl

• 2 weeks later...

I use Quick Books Pro.  Even though it lives on the dreaded PC in the basement, I will continue to use it for two reasons.

1.  It works great at tax time when I email one file to the accountant.

2.  I save the invoices as PDFs and email them to the client.

David Terry

I use Quick Books Pro.  Even though it lives on the dreaded PC in the basement

David Terry

Although QuickBooks on the Mac is somewhat lacking in the features provided in the Windows version, I have found it to be very useful for my business (and I don't have to use a PC). I make pdf's of my reports at tax time and throughout the year but I do not use any routines that may or may not be built into QuickBooks. Mac OS X provides for any document that can be printed can actually be "printed" (saved) as a .pdf right within the Print dialog box, so if Intuit touts this as a feature of QuickBooks on the Mac, it isn't something they had to do.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 3 months later...

I have worked for some sketchy folks, and while I haven't had an invoice proceedure other than MS Word, I'm curious as to wether anyone includes legal statements, or time cinstraints on their invoices? Does it make any difference?

I tried this and almost no one paid attention, but this was mostly w/ small prod. co.s.  It seems to me that just because you put time contraints etc on an invoice doesn't mean that your client is bound by them unless they specifically sign off on them (like in a contract).  In CA there are specific rules about how long an employer has to pay you after the end of a job (widely flouted by the way), but for rental etc invoices you are kind of on your own.  That said, even the most competitive mixers, rental houses and post production facilities are always willing to share info on who ISN"T paying up, so word gets around fast.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

I use a simple product calles bluebox invoices   

http://www.blueboxsw.com/0301.html

It costs $29.95 and is based on file maker pro

the creator Jay Kellet has been very helpful anytime I have had an issue, usually operator error

Jay also got me using the OSX printing pdf choice to e-mail my invoices

I recommend it

al mcguire

jacksonville fl

Hi, Al.

Thanks for your help on the job with Mark a few days ago. I'll be working with him again tomorrow.

Jay's brother is a sound mixer, Chris Kellett, based in the Philadelphia PA area. I've been using Blue Box Invoices since Chris reccomended it to me several years ago. It offers lots of nice options, like being able to track how much a piece of gear earns, and you can customize the invoices if you have and know Filemaker. Anybody who is looking for an easy to use and versatile invoicing package should check out BBI.

Jim