10 meters drop out on QRX100s + LAs, Is that normal on this circumstances...

hiro nakamura

Hi guys,

Just curious on the performance of my QRX100s + two LAs.

I have drop off less than 10 meters away, BUT the condition is like this:

1. A big gathering, about 500 people in a 400 meter square courtyard. It''s like two subjects on LAs were 10 meters away, IN between there might be 5-10 people cross in and out.

2. One of my Sanken Cos-11D 's lemo head was broken, so I found someone fixed it with a new lemo head, even though I instructed how the soldering should be wired, but I didn't see how he did it. (kind of his secret maybe, to not let me see it. Charged 50USD, with a Chinese knock off lemo... I know... I am just not capable of doing soldering ;( ). 

3. Both QRX100 were block 21, I have a block 24 wireless hop TRX900, at the beginning, I didn't put the filter antenna up, but after the drop out occurs, I put the filter antenna. However, didn't make it any better. (The reason I didn't put the filter antenna was, one of the filter antenna cable was broken, I have one for backup, I would like to save it for the last, the cable is very hard, easy to break IMO. 

What might be the major factor, maybe all of them. cos that major reason might make me sell my block24 for another block wireless hop... or re-wire the cos-11D or do nothing at all, and push people away for the shoot:)

Of course, with the new modulation, this problem might not be happening, but still, I want to figure out why...

Thanks for your value inputs

Hiro

does switching off your block 24 system make any difference to your range?

has anything changed to prompt these drop outs?

what is the rf signal strength when the drop outs occur?

do you have a volt meter? check that if you put one pin of the voltmeter touching the pins in the lemo and one touching the shell that you have a circuit. if you dont that is the cause of your problem. - did a walk test a week or so ago with a provided sanken where there was no curcuit as i described, and after 10 metres, loads of dropouts. swapped to a properly wired sanken, and all was fine.

also, contact your nearest sanken distributor, let them know the serial number of your microphone that was repaired and they will sell you a brand new one, without accessories at very good price, as long as you return the broken one.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. 

I didn't switch off my block24's wireless hop. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it with camera rolling all the time. 

The RF signal just flips all the time, lots of drop outs... However, I do noticed with less people between me and the subjects, the RF signal did getting lots of better, I might get 20-30 meters without drop out. 

I got two LAs on two QRX100, technically, if one of the Sanken lemo didn't wired correctly, the drop out signal only on that LA, rather than two of them, right? 

I will try to do more test myself and talk to Sanken ...see what they say. 

Thanks a lot

Hiro

im assuming you were using whip antennas.

having some way to get your antennas higher will help - better chance of line of sight on your radio mics, and gets the ariels further away from the camera hop.

you can also try finding some way to move your camera hop away from your qrx receiver.

also, what frequency spacing did you have on your LAs?

and what power output were you running?

but yes, if one was wired incorrectly, you would expect that one to perform worse than the other. though it is possible that both are wired incorrectly. but if you are ok with a soldering iron, and able to take apart the lemo connector, it is reasonably easy to fix.

I had the same issues with my QRX's and LA's. You may want to try the new update since the problem usually persists, from my experience, when the transmitter doesn't have a line of site view of the receiver. It seems like the more crowded a room is the harder it is for the signal to stay solid. This issue is also why I have a PSC RF Mulit SMA in the bag. But, as John mentioned you may want to upgrade if you haven't done so already. I still haven't gotten around to it. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

im assuming you were using whip antennas.

you can also try finding some way to move your camera hop away from your qrx receiver.

also, what frequency spacing did you have on your LAs?

and what power output were you running?

My Freq set to 558.5 and  566.5, due to lower range didn't have available space. (is that too near to each other???)

You are right Rich, I was recording doc style, run and gun at that moment. Whips all the time.

This issue is also why I have a PSC RF Mulit SMA in the bag. 

Does PSC multi RF help with the signal, I think it only distribute the signal?

I don't think it's Zaxcom's wireless tech problem, more to do with the condition of the environment I guess. I did a test yesterday on an empty street, facing the QRX100, it was about 60 meters. In my pocket, it 's about 30- 40meters.. which I am happy about it. 

I think the best way is to get my Sanken re-wired and upgrade all my units for next time. 

Thanks again guys for your inputs!

Appreciate

Hiro