IFB - ComTek vs Lectrosonics vs Zaxcom vs Sennheiser G3 IEM

TomBoisseau

Tom: " I mainly wanted to make sure I was not making a choice I would regret. "

you had already made up your mind...

and it seems you have our permission, and certainly mine.

but the various options are all valid, and everyone ends up making their own, somewhat subjective personal choice of what suits them best.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more:

I'ver been using  Sennheiser "tourguide" receivers for IFB monitoring for the last five years. cheap solution, fully compatible with the G2+G3 transmitters; good range, a little less fidelity compared to G2/G3 receivers, but very rugged and dead simple: one  knob to turn for volume + on/OFF;  listeners can hop through preset channels with a  second switch like on lectro IFB. latter feauture can be  locked. Same form factor as the G2/G3 pocket receivers. one headphone output, display showing channel or frequency and battery state. 2 AA nimh work for one shooting day.

current model is named "EK 1039"and has a double freqency range (2 blocks wide, compared to older G2 units). I use 8  of them for IFB along with 4 pairs of G2+G3 tx/rx for camera hops, playback speakers, IFB tx ...

best

Axel

one more:

I'ver been using  Sennheiser "tourguide" receivers for IFB monitoring for the last five years. cheap solution, fully compatible with the G2+G3 transmitters; good range, a little less fidelity compared to G2/G3 receivers, but very rugged and dead simple: one  knob to turn for volume + on/OFF;  listeners can hop through preset channels with a  second switch like on lectro IFB. latter feauture can be  locked. Same form factor as the G2/G3 pocket receivers. one headphone output, display showing channel or frequency and battery state. 2 AA nimh work for one shooting day.

current model is named "EK 1039"and has a double freqency range (2 blocks wide, compared to older G2 units). I use 8  of them for IFB along with 4 pairs of G2+G3 tx/rx for camera hops, playback speakers, IFB tx ...

best

Axel

Axel,

Thanks for your input. I was looking into the EK 1039 but, from what I can tell, the frequencies are either IN the forbidden 700mhz range, or the 600mhz range that will likely also be prohibited here in the USA in the next 5-8 years. Also, I'm currently pretty well invested in the "G" band which Sennheiser does not support in the "tourguide" series.

Tom

Can I ask where you found this price? They seem to list publicly for $500.

It is local supplier in Atlanta that I've been dealing with for years. They mainly sell to live sound and install companies. In the past (and still occasionally) I did some PA installs. As a result, they sell to me at supposably "dealer" cost.

Tom

Tom: " I mainly wanted to make sure I was not making a choice I would regret. "

you had already made up your mind...

and it seems you have our permission, and certainly mine.

but the various options are all valid, and everyone ends up making their own, somewhat subjective personal choice of what suits them best.

Senator! Not true at all!

Now it IS true that I was "hoping" that I might be able to use the Sennheiser IEM's, however if I had received strong feedback, from multiple members here, encouraging me to NOT move this direction, I would absolutely consider something else.

While it is unlikely that we will ever have unanimous agreement on any subject here, discussing it will usually bring out the positives and the negatives. There are many here that I have a great deal of respect for... including you. I appreciate the thoughts and comments they provide, and I thank you that I have your permission.

Thanks,

Tom

I also use a combo of a Sennheiser G3 transmitter feeding G3 receivers on cameras for hops and G3 IEMs for creatives. It works great, and then when I'm doing bigger multi-cam concert recordings, I just switch to the desktop IEM Transmitter and put IEMs on all the cameras too, with a stereo guidetrack (which Editors and Directors like for that kind of thing). It's so easy to hire more IEMs, too - from local PA hire companies. I've seen lots of them get dropped without a casualty so far. Bag range with the SK100 has never been an issue for me in doco style work - as a hop or IEM - although it was when I used them as talent tranmitters. Probably because the antenna is in the clear in a bag rather than up against a body.

ERX users: please elaborate on your transmitter and antenna configuration. What works and what doesn't? I.e. transmitter model, RF output power, amplifier usage, antenna type.

Also, I remember reading some posts about the ERX having trouble with crosstalk at some settings is that true?

I use the nomad tx when in a bag, and the nomad tx with an l-com 1 watt amp when on the cart. I also use an ifb100 when i need an additional channel.

I've used the Lectro IFB, Senny kit and now the Zaxcom ERX. All have their advantages.

The Zax have the superior sound quality. I've had a boom op wowed by the difference to Sennheiser units. I think this might make them a good choice for boom ops, though you may need an amp to get good range. The TC output ability is fantastic.

Sennheiser gear is cheap, sturdy and it's easy to get additional units second hand.

Lectro stuff has fantastic range when paired with a good TX. And the frequency switching is very very easy. Director proof as well.

Lectro R1a - producers can't kill them no matter how many times they drop them. Paired with UM400a I get lots of "I can't believe I could still hear the IFB when I went two floors down to the car park".

I have the same set up and the same experience, awesome!

+ 1

Absolutely, UM400A and R1a's are rock solid.

It should be noted that the build quality of the ERX1 and ERX2 are noticeably different. The ERX1s had the issues Constantine mentioned below. Many of the ones I purchased where broken on arrival. The battery doors wouldn't close, the volume knobs broke easily, not ready for prime time IMO. The ERX2 is a much better, more robust design. I've been very happy with the ERX 2 and wouldn't go back to any other system. If you can build your system a few units at a time I would recommend spending the extra $150 per unit and get the much better system. If you're trying to buy a bunch to start with that difference can add up quick for sure.

I will add this though, on the first project on which I used three brand new ERX, two of them broke, after a simple drop. On one the display went dark, on the other the side of the battery compartment broke off.
I can't count the number of times a G3 receiver has been dropped to the floor. Barely scratched the surface

I m a great fan of sennheiser G3. I have a transmitter plugged on my mixer all the time. I can send feed for director and creative and a scratch track for cameras with only one freq. I like to use sennheiser with canon 5D/7D. Perfect level match, use the sennheiser G3 mini-jack / locking mini-jack. I have some IEM that I can also use for scratch track for multi camera. I put some tape on the volume knob.Works like a charm.

It should be noted that the build quality of the ERX1 and ERX2 are noticeably different. The ERX1s had the issues Constantine mentioned below. Many of the ones I purchased where broken on arrival. The battery doors wouldn't close, the volume knobs broke easily, not ready for prime time IMO. The ERX2 is a much better, more robust.

I'm sure that's true, but in my case it was the ERX2. But I mean, they were repaired on production's insurance so it's not a big deal. I'm still using them. I found adequate cases for them. Still, those cases somewhat negate the size/weight advantage the ERXs have.

The ERX is still at the beta stage imo.

Got one and yes, if I look at it for more than 10 seconds I worry I'm gonna break it (ERX1TCD).

The basic idea is good; TC and audio on the same unit. The final delivery is poor for our field of work.

If it's gonna be used as TC on a cam, why no lock connector?

If it's gonna be used by script, why this low definition LED ? (the worst type of all my gear, all brands included) (why not QRX type then? )

In all cases, why not recessed switch and pot ? If plastic is gonna be used for the casing, why soldered-to-card external components that will break on their fall halfway to the floor if dropped ?

My 49995 cents plus taxes.

The ERX is still at the beta stage imo.

Got one and yes, if I look at it for more than 10 seconds I worry I'm gonna break it (ERX1TCD).

The basic idea is good; TC and audio on the same unit. The final delivery is poor for our field of work.

If it's gonna be used as TC on a cam, why no lock connector?

If it's gonna be used by script, why this low definition LED ? (the worst type of all my gear, all brands included) (why not QRX type then? )

In all cases, why not recessed switch and pot ? If plastic is gonna be used for the casing, why soldered-to-card external components that will break on their fall halfway to the floor if dropped ?

My 49995 cents plus taxes.

The erx is not in beta at all. I've put a couple thousand hours on many of my erx this year with no problems.

I agree there is room for improvement on the design, but they work great right now.

"The ERX is still at the beta stage imo.

Got one and yes, if I look at it for more than 10 seconds I worry I'm gonna break it (ERX1TCD)."

You are complaining about a unit that was discontinued 3 years ago and trying to make it seem like this has some relation to the different unit we ship today. The reason we made the ERX2 and gave everyone a very good upgrade path is because we realized the week points of the mechanical design. The ERX2TCD is a very rugged product and any mechanical comparison to the ERX1 is not valid and is misleading.

Glenn

I absolutely love my ERX2TCD's.

I would agree that a better and more legible display would be a good idea for future models. The timecode display is quite hard to read sometimes even with the backlight permanently on. A locking collar for the ouput is also good thinking, though I've never had any issue without this (yet).

Trying to get rugged cases for them that also allow easy access to the display and buttons is a pain. If Zaxcom made some suitable ones available I would certainly buy some.

I have had a display fail on one of them, which I've been avoiding having to send back to the mothership as I use them so much. Guess I'd better give you a shout Glenn...

Why there isn't a thick neoprene type meterial skin that comes with erx's I don't understand. In bulk I would pay the extra 20$ for the shock proofing it would add.

I thought they were somewhat intentionally made to approx iPod / iPhone size so there are a TON of available cases. Everyone wants a different style of case, so there are options. Full padding or front window, belt loop or belt clip, Etc etc. I had some luck at a store called 5Below. They get a lot of overstock phone cases, and have blowout prices (everything $5 or less). Off topic, but I found tons of cases for old Comtek 72 series there (flip phone cases) at about $3 each, and semi-disposable headphones for IFB.

As for the "the next gen ERX should have *********", there is usually a thread on Zaxcom.com where a bunch of users hash out if those ideas would help or hinder their work.