Transporting blimps

heckcareder

I have my travel kit down to a 1510, 1650, a large duffel, and a small duffel.  Radios, lithium batteries, and other small parts in the 1510 and gets carried on along with my small duffel.  The 1650 has shark fins, 8050 w/ blimp, 8060 w/ softie, some more wireless, boom pole, mixer, wireless receivers, waterproof gear, etc... Quite frankly, this may not have been the best arrangement, as my blimp has developed a crack, but it has not functionally impaired it at all, but goes to show that a certain level of shock and wear & tear is being experienced.  I may have to upgrade my 1650 to a larger case, but want to avoid if possible, because right now I'm loading it to about 40 to 45+ pounds, meaning I don't have much room to spare in order to keep in under the 50 pound limit to avoid heavy baggage fees.

I have 6 rycote windshields to haul. To maximize space, get a large check bag with a hard shell, take off the hand grips (so they are just tubes), line the bottom of the bag with lightly crumpled newspaper (if you can find one -ha), place the windshields in strategically so they have at least 2" between (also space between the edge of the bag and windshield), stuff more newspaper between each for separation (or use bubble wrap), carefully stack crumpled newspaper on top of the windshields (they will act as the buffer for the other side of the case when closed - try to make it fully filled when closed so there is no movement inside). It will cost you an extra check bag (at least you don't need to worry about it being overweight!), but so far they all have survived in mint condition.

NOTE: when you open the bag it may explode with newspaper so do so slowly...

I use to do PVC pipe with caps. Protects the blimps but takes something that weighed next to nothing and made a large, heavy and cumbersome piece. I would also take the mount out to fit in the pipe (which I lined with foam). I think Robert and Jan have made pipe cases with a cut out slit for the mount to stay attached. I've since gotten rid of my PVC pipe cases and use wooden boxes.