mikewest

I've always used free run code to jam slate an camera

Did a 2 day job with an Red Epic but editor says she cannot auto sync??

If the free run code could be seen as a "time" what's the problem?

Epic menu is not my forte nor the camera teams strength either!

I know there is time-code and edge code so how can I make this work next time.

Done dozens of shoots and a feature on 2 x Alexas without a problem

So help and advice appreciated

Cheers

mike

Safe bet to ride the timecode box on the camera. Still doesn't guarantee sync. Two factors I've seen cause Red sync issues

1. Camera in hot environment

2. Shooting long takes in 5k

My next Red shoot I plan to use the Mozegear Tig to feed BNC timecode to the lemo input and audio timecode to track 1. This way if the Reds internal timecode brain farts, they can use the linear timecode track as sync reference.. In Avid it's super easy..

I would not count on post being able to use audio TC without getting a specific ok first--it's not any sort of normal procedure.  I have a TIG and like it very well but it is the wrong tool for a shoot with any RED camera.  With REDs you need to supply Trilevel sync along with TC (the 2 locked together before they enter the camera) to have any hope of long term sync at all (camera vs audio AND camera vs camera).  Jamming to the TC output of a RED is sure to cause trouble, as its clock is so wildly inconsistent that while your gear (with good clocks) will hold the jam justs fine the camera will wander off immediately.  (Cabled RED TC to your recorder, with the recorder in Ext TC will work fine.)  Now, what did this editor mean by "auto-sync"?  In the world of PluralEyes (or FCX) that usually means syncing the "master" audio track to the ref audio track on the camera.  If the camera isn't holding sync, then that process may not be automateable.  If they are trying to sync TC to TC, same diff, if the camera is drifting.  Now, I bet if they just get down to business and sync the clap to picture (old school, but effective), then I bet all will be well, or well enough.

TIG + Alexa= great.

philp